Recent content by Sunship

1. S

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Do they have remote control? SH9 does not have pre-outs does it? Also at this price point A90 being $100 more is not nothing. I'm not trying to pick a winner, they're all incredible value. But just looking at this Gustard as something pretty great.
  2. S

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

You're being a bit tough on this one :) It ticks all boxes as a hifi Pre-amplifier for people who have an analog source (Especially with efficient speakers). An alternative to the Benchmark HPA4 or Dangerous music monitor controller etc.: XLR/RCA ins and outs. Relais volume control and remote...
  3. S

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

This is my impression as well. When listening to very good DACs (I have listened to about 7 or 8 models in the blue and green categories of this website). It is very, very difficult to tell them appart and I won't name names, but I always went back to the Benchmark DAC3 because of deeper and...
  4. S

Ah! ok :) The listening space was set-up by a friend who is indeed a non-fiction book collector and occasionally distributor/publisher. I'll stop here to not pollute this DAC8 thread, exit: https://www.sunshipaudio.com/p/listening-room.html
  5. S

What do you mean by ‘small press publisher”? I build the speakers. Regarding the feet, there’s nothing easier than having all done in one color :) Most people love the multiple colors while some worry it affects the sound or at least their perception of it.
  6. S

Not with TAD drivers then :)
  7. S

This DAC sounds amazing! I listened to it for several days in the listening room pictured above and on my similar system at home. "Very dry sound" means nothing. If you don't like the sound you have a problem elsewhere in your system. It is very well built too. Nice CNC-machined panels case...
  8. S

So nice to read! This very DAC, Pavel and his colleagues were here: https://www.sunshipaudio.com/2020/02/okto-dac8-stereo.html Great DAC, great people.
  9. S

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

So happy to read this! There's this idea that new suspensions and spiders are stiff and prevent the cone from moving happily and freely. Yes they do, but that's not a nuisance! They have a task to manhandle the cone and bring it back to zero.
  10. S

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Yes. Great too. I was talking about these newer Topping and Matrix. It would be great if they could live without a preamp (Again: for those who need a turntable).
  11. S

Not sure how what you’re saying is different from what I’m saying. Look at the Benchmark DAC3 it has digital volume control on the digital path and analog volume control on the analog-in. It also has passive jumpers to perfectly match the digital output to your amp. The whole design is so...
  12. S

There is almost too much to chose from. From a D50 or even a Khadas upward there are many great DACs that measure perfectly and with either AKM or ESS. But. They’re all a bit samey and all lack an analog-in. I’m surprised that no one has a go at it as it transforms the possibilities of the DAC...
  13. S

Review and Measurements of the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC

Golly! This had me interested at some point since it is one of the few DACs with an analog-in. There are not many... Benchmark, Auralic Vega G2, Grace design M905, Dangerous music Source, Bel Canto (?), Mytek ... In a way I don't care if the analog-in is only 90% it's only a way to get rid of...
  14. S

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

I wish it had XLR outs too, it would make a perfect preamp.
Top Bottom