Recent content by student of history

1. S

It seems my ears are not made for IEMs, as I have sealing issues with every single IEM I've tried - any advice?

I've wondered about this. Some people have dry ear holes. Lotion can smooth the skin in the ears and make the seal better. I've tried it myself and it seems to work, using Curel Ultra Healing lotion and silicone tips. The danger is if the lotion uses any chemical that degrades the tip material...
  2. S

Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC & HP Amp Review

I searched the thread, but see no sign of crosstalk response. Just curious. Crosstalk is one of the most important tests, IMHO.
  3. S

What is the cheapest system (less than 500 euros/dollars) that surprised you with its sound quality?

My Yamaha NS-AW350W sounded pretty excellent, for the $75 I paid for them. I haven’t set them up outside yet, but tested them inside with an old iPad Mini 4 playing through a Topping E30 DAC and Topping PA3S amp. So, like $450 for the system. I was really surprised by how good they sounded.
  4. S

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

I've been fond of the older NHT speakers for their slim build. I could only afford the Super Twos, but admired the nht 3.3 and other similar models. It seemed like a decent solution: Put the sub (often the wide) speaker cone sideways (or down-firing in the case of the Super 2s). But they are...
  5. S

Would you rebuy your current setup?

As mentioned above, I'd replace the Yamaha AVRs with whatever new model was out. I've been happy with the brand for decades. I'd replace the Polk S15s with whatever equivalent models there were. I'm happy with this brand too. Would probably not get NHTs again, as they are long in the tooth...
  6. S

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

I agree--delay to the rear channels would be the whole point (for me anyway). I prefer using Audio Hijack and multiple DACs to achieve this. Then you can correct for so many other things (room EQ + preferred EQ, low pass, high pass, etc.). Even better (in some ways) is a decent AVR. Once you add...
  7. S

Examples of good usability in hi-fi equipment

A few that come to mind: I really liked the solenoid operation of some of the later tape decks, like the Tandberg open reel (a TD-20A I think?) at my old job and my Sony TCK-670. This combined with full logic operation. I was also very satisfied with the audio quality of this tape system at the...
  8. S

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Your point? I included Linux since there was no reply for a Linux user in the post referenced above. I'm wondering if any Mac users/supporters have a solution?
  9. S

Thanks. I'm guessing this is a Linux solution? I'm not running Linux (just saw some Linux users had the same problem). Would be grateful if there was a Mac solution as it's my main OS.
  10. S

It looks like there's no such fix for Macs or Linux. Unless anyone know of one?
  11. S

Wow, the same thing just happened to me and I came here and saw your post. I have exactly the same issues, but i'm running a Mac. I also tried my Windows laptop and had the same problems. It sounds fine in optical or in USB 1.1, it sounds great once it stops popping, but it pops every single...
  12. S

Best DAC for less than $100?

The Apple dongle with C connector already mentioned is surprisingly good. Price can't be beat. This one is probably no better than the Topping D10, but it has been tested here, it has volume controls for RCA output, and mine has been working reliably for more than a year in my office: FX Audio...
  13. S

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Static electricity (from my desk chair, apparently) seems to cause abrupt shut down of audio function. It can only recover with a power cycle. I guess that it's not properly shielded. As much as I liked the features and overall quality, I give it a headless panther rating. I'm sending it back to...
  14. S

Loxjie A30 vs Topping MX5? I want to have output for speakers and HP without unplugging anything

Just an FYI: I'm sending back my SMSL C200. It seems to stop operating when exposed to static discharge. Others seem to have similar issues. I've reverted to a Topping D10 balanced and a Dx3 Pro, neither of which have had issues so far.
Top Bottom