Recent content by steveminnesota

1. S

So basically all daps are worthless shit?

:facepalm:Bought a WM1Z from a friend. It ($3,199 if bought new) sounds like something that might worth $500 at most from Topping.
  2. S

Headphone amp smells like burning plastic with random rely clicks

My Stax amp was just set up today. I noticed it smells a bit like burning plastic when smelling really close up, like nose on the metal close. It sounds all right but I do get some rely activation clicks, maybe like five times per hour, totally random. The weird thing is it clicks even when...
  3. S

High impedance headphone jack on new M1 Max 16 inch MacBook Pro

I am actually sending mine to Amirm. Might take a while though cause I am all the way on the east coast.
  4. S

Some actually believe that music from different drive types (SSD,HDD) or different SATA cables can sound different

They knew that 99.9% owners of million-dollar speaker systems don't browse those forum so their theory of "your equipment is not good enough" can hold up pretty well. But hey if you ask them to take a picture of their "high end gear" with a timestamp they just vanish.:facepalm:
  5. S

Some actually believe that music from different drive types (SSD,HDD) or different SATA cables can sound different

No, he just disappeared into the abyss as soon as I mentioned technical stuff and asked for photo evidence. I asked him why my 8K monitor which needs to be driven by two DP 1.4 simultaneously for a 8bit 60Hz output will not show a difference down the middle of the screen, as two cables each...
  6. S

Absolutely. I posted in the original thread, that the only reason why high-end HDMI cable reviewers never do an A/B exhibition on their reviews, and why companies like AudioQuest never ever show two TVs each with their own cable and a $5 cable on the same stand at a gear show, is that there is...
  7. S

I am pretty sure I am going to be banned from there after arguing with a member that $2,000 HDMI cables don't make image quality any better than a normal one. I asked him and another member to show me some photos of the image qualities before and after cable swaps. Of course he rejected this and...
  8. S

How to sell here without getting scammed? Hifiman HE400se, new in sealed label/box for sale

Most services protect buyers far better than they do for sellers. Selling to someone who has a good buying history and solid feedback will lower the risk but things can still happen. The problem is that for something of this value, law enforcement will likely ignore any related requests.
  9. S

Using a passive volume control hooked to amp output for noise reduction

It seems that the gain is set insanely high and nothing short of 200-300 ohms can be used for these. A 64 ohm 100db/mw MDR-Z1R needed like 1 out of 48 steps to reach normal volume and 2 is already pretty loud. I found similar problems with the Schiit Ragnarök 2's 6.35mm output which just can't...
  10. S

Yeah and what's horribly designed about this model is the lack of gain control, plus a lack of XLR input. I first encountered huge ground loop noise from RCA cables and later when all devices are plugged into the same strip, the internal noise floor, which is always there even with nothing...
  11. S

I was considering something like this: Amazon link and might give it a try. Would only waste my 10 bucks if it fails lol. I found a 300 ohm HD800 works alright with the noise floor but a 64 ohm Z1R suffered miserably. Might need at least 500 ohm of extra impedance to lower the noise to inaudible...
  12. S

Yeah I might get rid of it considering its very limited usability.
  13. S

I got a second hand Wells Audio amp recently and found out that the volume is insanely high as well as the noise floor for it's 6.35mm output. Pretty much unusable whenever the music stops playing. I am thinking of using a 6.35mm to RCA splitter from the amp output to a passive volume control...
  14. S

Headphones picking up radio stations. Solutions?

Oh and sometimes it's just insanely high-pitched noise screaming with some cable positions.
  15. S

Headphones picking up radio stations. Solutions?

I hooked my MDR Z1R onto a topping A90 with a 4.4mm balanced cable. Now depending on my cable position I can hear either little hisses of radio broadcasting or some moderately noticeable music/radio programs. Weirdly this only happens with low and mid gain, not high gain on A90. Any possible...
Top Bottom