Recent content by SteveJ

1. S

Anyone watching Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power ?

It's easy enough to ignore when the show is actually good, but I find the tokenistic diversity you get in productions like this a little odd. For example, when Lenny Henry was announced as playing a Harfoot, people defended it as true to Tolkien because he'd described them as a darker skinned...
  2. S

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

I have no idea about this kind of thing to be honest. Both the DVD drive and the DAC are plugged directly into USB ports on my PC. The D10s is powered by USB while the DVD drive has its own power supply plugged into the same power strip as the PC.
  3. S

JDS Atom as volume control for a power amp?

It looks like I was completely wrong about case vibration not being the main issue. As soon as I popped the top cover up at the front of the case the noise pretty much disappeared. If I hold my ear close to it with the case open then I can just about hear a buzz, but it's virtually silent...
  4. S

I've just had a look and there doesn't seem to be a sticker. As long as I don't break anything it shouldn't be a problem if I open it up and take a look. The sound only changes a little when I push down on it so I don't think it's just vibration through the case. I doubt that adding dampening...
  5. S

I'm tempted to open it up and have a look, but I'm reluctant to risk invalidating the warranty. I might bump that thread to add my own experience and see if anyone came up with a fix. It definitely isn't acceptable where it's currently situated, but the 2m interconnect between it and the...
  6. S

Looking online, I do see some reviews and comments mentioning buzzing from these amps. I'm not sure if mine is particularly loud. At 6ft I have to actually listen for it, but it's louder than a quiet PC (6x 120mm Noctua fans at low speed) running in the same room. The speakers are near silent...
  7. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

I took the rather less scientific approach of flipping them over and listening for a bit before coming to a similar conclusion. What I have done is tilt them forward a little. My entirely subjective impression is that it was a small improvement. That might just be in my head, but perhaps it's...
  8. S

I received my Audiophonics MPA-S125NC today. It works fine with the Atom. Normal to fairly loud listening volumes with my amp+speakers and headphones are quite similar: low gain, dial somewhere between 9 and 12 o'clock. I did initially have a ground loop issue. I had my PC plugged into one...
  9. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

I don't think my home office will ever be audiophile nirvana, but the main problem was definitely down to a room mode issue rather than anything specific to these speakers. Just setting -12db at 125hz in Foobar2K's graphic equalizer DSP has tamed the bass that I found so unpleasant on certain...
  10. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

Another (probably stupid) question, but would it be a really bad idea to run the M16s upside down, with the tweeter at the bottom?
  11. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

I think that's definitely part of it. If I slide my chair within 4' of the speakers the bass sounds a whole lot better, slide back to about 6-8' away and it's pretty bad. I think I'll have to play around with the room layout a bit, but there are limits to what's practical - it's a home office...
  12. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

There's currently about 14" between the wall and the back of the speaker. It's a small room so more than that isn't very practical.
  13. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

Does anyone find these speakers particularly sensitive to placement height? I stuck them on rather tall stands that I'd used for some other old speakers and they sounded fine while I was standing up. Slouching in my chair put the woofers at ear level and for me it ruined the sound. The bass was...
  14. S

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

Here's a bit of weirdness that maybe someone with a bit of electrical knowledge can explain: I had my D10s sitting on the edge of a DVD recorder's metal casing, connected to my Atom headphone amp by a very short interconnect. The D10s could get tugged and move/tilt a bit when I plugged...
  15. S

Thanks for raising that point. Is there anything that would roughly indicate the Atom settings I'd need to get a normal listening volume from a particular power amp + speakers? I'm leaning towards an Audiophonics MPA-S125NC amp, mainly because even with shipping from France to UK it's a cheap...
Top Bottom