Recent content by SoyBean0809

1. S

SMSL M500 DAC Only “Thermal Issue” not “Golden Sample”

I think the heat sink (if there is any) was simply taken away when taking these photos, so as to reveal the ess chip underneath it. It's hard to imagine that smsl will save on a heatsink. But it will be interesting to see what does it look like inside the production model though.
  2. S

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

In the M500 review Amir set the volume to 34 and the output is 4.2Vrms, set to max will output 6.8Vrms, so I think there is no need to use high gain on the 887.
  3. S

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

I also experience some of these symptoms, but I figured out some setting which maybe related to them. I use Foobar2000 v1.4.4, with the newest version of foo_input_sacd component. Problem 1 3 4 all have some relation with the 'DSD native' setting and some implementaion issue of the M500's usb...
  4. S

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

This one just fulfilled all my expectations, would like to get one as soon as it is availible. A small question though, is it able to use the xlr input and have output via the rca out? It would be convenient if yes, elsewise just several pull and plug when changing between hp amp and active...
  5. S

Sabaj D5 vs. SMSL M500 vs. Topping DX7 Pro: measurement comparison

The M500 is my choice, considering its price and small form factor. The volume control is available when using lineout, so just set it to somewhere between 32~34 out of 40 (Amir measured the XLR output at volume 34 and got a 4.3v output) then you can get the right output level. And doing this...
  6. S

So true... It seems that some people have just ignored the fact that this is a thread about a nice implemented dac+amp selling at $400...
  7. S

Thanks very much for the detailed review! It is surprising to see that the XLR output has such high level, no wonder it clips badly when connected to my Gustard H10 with +12dB gain at full volume. Now I just stick to the default gain on the H10 and there is still crazy amount of power to drive...
  8. S

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

I mainly use the usb input, listening to files up to dsd256 is fine, no popping sound during playing. I can hear little bit of noise when changing format such as from dsd64 to dsd256, but soon after the music starts playing, they just vanished and won't show up during further listening.;)
  9. S

New SMSL M500

I've checked it and it did show v1.4, but I can find the difference in functionality before and after upgrade, so I think it's not a big problem:)
  10. S

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

@TC!! Thanks for your effort! @ryohnosuke The built quality of the M500 is good in my opinion, although it's weight is lighter than I expected (about 0.9kg), so some people may consider it not that "solid-feeling" comparing with other dac. The jacks are well made and work properly on mine. I may...
  11. S

New SMSL M500

Well that's weird...I am not with mine right now so I will check it after I got home tomorrow. Maybe the programer just forgot to edit the info in the menuo_O
  12. S

New SMSL M500

The XMOS driver in the update package is actually the same as the original driver from the website, so I think it is only to make sure you have the right driver before updating the firmware.
  13. S

New SMSL M500

You have to connect the dac and then run the .exe file in the DFU tool folder, this will guide you through the update procedure.
  14. S

New SMSL M500

Some say that the d5 is actually design and made by smsl, or at least has some relation with the company. Looking inside the two product I actually find some similar design (such as the amp part). So assuming this, I think this two will likely measure similarly, maybe the d5 will be a little...
  15. S

Review and Measurements of iBasso DX200 DAP

Thank you for your hard work! I can imagine your hard time getting this thing set properly... It' so true that many DAPs made by Chinese companies has so many interesting functions implemented which is good, but then just let the customers figure out how to use them, which is ok to me but...
Top Bottom