Recent content by Sonicears

1. S

MQA Sounds Really Good!

I am not running an MQA DAC at the moment. 1. Using the Tidal windows app, I can play the same song with MQA turned on and off. IF I turn it on only the first unfold is done with out and MQA DAC. 2. I have the choice to switch between HiFi (lossless CD quality play back - as claimed by TIDAL)...
  2. S

MQA Sounds Really Good!

I think there is huge misunderstanding on MQA works for example the discussion on whether it is lossless or not. Some of the confusion is semantic.
  3. S

MQA Sounds Really Good!

The difficulty in determining if Meridian is lying is that MQA process is not transparent. https://www.bestofhighend.com/mqa-explained-8/
  4. S

MQA Sounds Really Good!

A different perspective: MQA files on Tidal often sound better on my system than other hi res Tidal tracks (not always). I am using the Tidal app on Windows to do first unfold and then playing via MiniDSP which performs DAC function plus DIRAC frequency response and phase orrection and active...
  5. S

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

Hmm. If you measure it as Armin did it does not perform as well as some better DACs, primarily because it introduces some noise that can be observed with test equipment. However this noise is at very low levels as someone else said "Whether any noise or jitter or harmonics which are 100 db down...
  6. S

Need some advice on DIY bass traps and their placement

The original corner bass traps I built were rubbish in my lounge for my systme. The design just used triangular pieces of the rockwool sheet layered on top of each other. I use a very similar design to this one on Youtube. They made almost no improvement and measured worse than just using bean...
  7. S

Need some advice on DIY bass traps and their placement

I built some triangulated bass traps out of Rockwool using a popular design of laying pieced cut in triangles one on top of each other in a triangular frame. I placed these in the front corners of the room and I wasn't very pleased with the result in REW. Barely noticeable. So I placed some...
  8. S

Dirac Live in hardware vs software

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware that EAPO had the ability to configure cross overs. Are you feeding the 8 channels out of your PC on the UDSB port? I also wasn't aware that you could do phase alignment with EAPO (I guess you have to use REW to do the phase measurements and then create the...
  9. S

Yes good point....and the advantage of running it on the PC is you can still use your favourite DAC instead of the inbuilt DAC functionality in a stand alone DSP. Depite saying this, I find the DAC built into the MiniDSP DDRC-24 seems to be at least on par with my previously used Meridian 566...
  10. S

I am not sure but I think Dirac is doing 1. Impulse response correcton 2. phase correction? Also like I can change presets at the press of a button (and now sell my old DAC and preamp that I no longer need)
  11. S

I was previously using REW created room correction filters loaded into Equaliser APO on my Windows PC music server and was very pleased with the sound. Music files were fed to the power amp by way of Meridian DAC and Accoustic Research pre amp and passively split to sub woofer with a basic...
Top Bottom