Recent content by Skinner001

1. S

Focal elex in the uk?

I would pass on the Ananda, if you look at the reviews here and general impressions - the "little" brothers are better - the Sundara and HE400SE from Hifiman. Then there's something like the 560s from Sennheiser which was recently reviewed by Amir. Audio Technica AT-R70X might also be something...
  2. S

Focal elex in the uk?

Not to mention the Elex are terrible BQ and QC, plenty of options out there, cheaper without taking on so much risk.
  3. S

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Ah, value is in the eye of the beholder. Diminishing returns here, depending on the use-case, I don't really look at my x16 99.9% of the time at all and there is no doubt the differences are not audible so in my case it would be throwing money into the ether.
  4. S

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Ah, another thing that does the thing that can't be distinguished from many other things, including the previous thing in the series of things (the x16) :D
  5. S

Sennheiser Launches HD 400 Pro Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

I'm not quite sure why. Everyone seems to like and praise proven HPs like the 600 and 650, yet, pre-EQ the 560s is closer to Harman than either of those out of the box. For that price, with that FR, I'm completely fine for Senn to market them as neutral (and I usually nit-pick a lot). A ton of...
  6. S

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Ah, well, companies have to iterate and come out with new products - even if in this case it's pretty unnecessary, but we live in an age where you really don't need to push out new dacs multiple times a year (like Topping). But more options is nice to have as consumers I guess - just find it all...
  7. S

UK options?

If you're concerned with Topping, Modi 3 and Magni 3+ are available at the moment as far as I can see and that stack would do fine. If you want to make life simpler you can get the Topping dx3 pro combo for 199. All of these have been reviewed here so you can take a look.
  8. S

Ah, so, a 30% price premium (here in the UK) for a ****** cable... Nice... I bet QC is a bit better as well but that would mean admitting the 560s has issues. All in all pretty scummy, hoping a "Pro" user is going to look at these and buy without researching and finding the 560s? At least...
  9. S

We've seen quite a bit of QC issues on the 560s thread - obviously, small sample sizes so no way to generalize to the 560s in general. It seems to be a combination of them being aware of the issue and then making the decisions to turn it into a cash grab.
  10. S

Yeah, it reminds me of yields of gpu-s - where the top ones get into a Ti version (speaking of NVIDIA here) which can be pushed more in clock speeds etc. while lower quality ones end up being limited a bit and sold as a non-Ti or a lower tier of gpu. Something similar here, basically the same...
  11. S

Topping D90 vs Denafrips Ares II?

If I know the chemical make-up of the food I can have an idea about taste and along with knowing my preferences I can have an idea of whether I'd like it. And if I know some more objective stuff, e.g. how it was prepared then it's going to be easier to relate to the experience of actually eating...
  12. S

Will be interested in seeing the measurements. Hopefully it's not a 560s with the "PRO" label slapped on it, slightly different accessories and that's it.
  13. S

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Ahh, well that may be less problematic then - as in, working as intended :D I guess covering the cups and artificially creating a closed cup could cause some wonky pressure issues and impact the driver - though seems unlikely. The Arya are the most open headphone I've ever heard, leak enough to...
  14. S

Exactly, having a clear winner here means nothing for so many reasons. A simple, well controlled listening test is the benchmark. On a more nit-picky note :D, at the time of writing this post (97 total votes) the D90 is statistically the winner. There are a few ways to calculate significance...
  15. S

These votes are mostly done based on the review - and the DACs don't measure identically - there are differences (even though, apart from really bad ones, these are not audible). So, the vast majority of people haven't heard the piece of equipment therefore the vote is not based on a hearing...
Top Bottom