Recent content by ShootingStills

1. S

Battery Powered Dac / Amp - Aeon Noire

That’s a Dap isn’t it? Wouldn’t be something I’d need / use. Well, not yet
  2. S

I can't tell you how much I like this site. I feel like its the only forum that I have been a part of that cuts through the nonsense. Thank you again! I am going to order the Colibri (Earmen) and compare to my Khadas and Gryphon as see what the differences are if any.
  3. S

Wow blimey that is quite interesting to hear about the Go Bar... This maybe explains why when I use the Power / Headphone calculators online I am surprised by how loud a headphone is supposed to get with a certain device (Go Bar for example) but when I listen it doesn't feel like the 'painful'...
  4. S

What is with that measurement vs the claimed 500+ mw of the manufacturer? Close to 5 times less. Is this even possible? This supports the other review or measurement of this thing on the headfi forum too. Seems poor form from earmen to overstate that? Thanks for the suggestions. Can I...
  5. S

Hi guys, Looking for a portable DAC / Amp ideally smaller than the Gryphon I have that will power these headphones with relative ease? I had in mind a Colibri (Earmen) as it states 580mw of power at 16 ohms… one review I read suggested that was false but I have no way of confirming. Any other...
  6. S

Khadas Tone2 Pro Review (DAC & Amp)

Guys, quick question. I’ve bought one of these for my parents for Christmas along with a used Bluesound node to get their hifi into the current century. Any reason the Khadas isn’t suitable for being plugged into power all the time and used almost exclusively as a hifi Dac? Not headphones
  7. S

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

:rolleyes: Right. I could post another 25 threads just from this forum about SMSL. I did say that I didn’t need you to go through them and would rather drop it Funny that you criticised me for not giving evidence, yet when I pasted in some links you criticise me for posting examples. I also...
  8. S

I'll explain point two and three together. I bought the Dac out of curiosity and completely on a whim, only looking at some 'expert' reviews who kept mentioning it as one of the go do DAC's for the money. So I was a 15% reduction and bought. When then reading more about it here, on Head-Fi and...
  9. S

Controlled Listening - Explained

So what was most enlightening was this (long winded version): I compared the DAC in my Node and the CXA81 AMP (a good dac apparently - ES9016) compared to the SMSL SU-9n - maybe less scientifically than I did with the RME but still listening (to my ear) at the same volume, from same position...
  10. S

How Important is the DAC Chip?

Thanks for your help and advice on this. I did buy the RME, turned up and compared best I could to the SMSL, heard no difference at all. If DAC performance vs price is all that matters then the SMSL is a gem, especially at £330 that I paid. That said, I really, really like the RME, initial...
  11. S

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

By the way, I bought one yesterday, it turned up today! Lovely piece of equipment that feels very well made. I was a tad frustrated with the delivery / packaging... Turned up with the box half crushed, with terrible packaging... And its definitely not a new unit. I'll take that up with the...
  12. S

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Yes I think that is right. The speaker play full range and the sub is connected to the same 3 terminals as the speakers are. Red, Black, Yellow cables. Then you have the high level 'volume' dial for want of a better word, and a crossover dial. I lost you after the stereo output bit. I'll try...
  13. S

Rest assured I am a genuine poster. It is a real shame you have to default to calling someone a troll when you hear some criticism of a product, that I assume you have no hand in creating. It is no secret that the SMSL brand produces incredible products, but they do have worse than average...
  14. S

Thanks all, my likening to photograph and lenses is pretty accurate then in that case. Blue fuzz - Saying something that isn’t totally transparent is ‘broken’ or I guess inaccurate is another term is pretty much what I mean with a non perfect or ‘character’ lens. I did the best job I could...
  15. S

PS - Also, the measurements that are conducted on the site by Amir and a few others, do these explain the differences in how DAC's can sound? I.e. a warmer sound with rolled off smoothed high notes etc, just as an example? Or emphasis on a certain frequency that maybe out of kilter with the...
Top Bottom