Recent content by Sandthemall

1. S

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

I was disappointed with the .5% distortion figure of my carver amp. Then I turned it on and listened to it. And I didn't think about it until now. Well, at least it doesn't have an extra distortion filter circuit to get it to .0000007%. Distortion, in audio terms, simply means coloration...
  2. S

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

Now, have the people here been measured? Seriously, measure all of them. Then you'll know for sure. Because once you measure someone, you'll figure them out. No need to talk to them even. You'll definitely know who's a Beefkaboob and who's not.
  3. S

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

This site is a seriously weird place. Is it part of Scientology?
  4. S

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

@Sal1950 Well, if you want ultimate resolution...look elsewhere. The Carver TFMs were really modeled to deliver a tube-like 'air' in the upper treble. If you like the crispness of a shallow brass snare...or want the the brass section to come alive but not irritate? Then the TFMs are...
  5. S

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

I've owned a Carver TFM 15CB. It was my first hi-fi amp. I ran a CD player directly into it using the gain knobs as volume controls. It sounded clean but when I finally put a decent preamp in front of it many years later, it was a completely different amp. Very smooth upper end and more 'meaty'...
  6. S

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

Sure. But I'm not losing sleep over this one...no need to.
  7. S

This is very much like saying ball bearings and bearing races don't break in after showing a 2 hour study. It's a dynamic mechanical structure. Change is simply inevitable. It's a fact of life on planet earth. The real questions are: How much change actually happens? Is it noticeable? Which...
  8. S

Why can't there be proof shown that break in doesn't happen? That sounds more compelling to me. I saw a 'graph' that showed little difference at 2 hours of playing...this is not a very useful study. There needs to be proof of this with minute/hourly/daily/weekly/monthly results across various...
  9. S

If you don’t believe in speaker break in…simply buy Tannoy speakers. That will scare you to death. A bonus is that you’ll also break in your underwear at the same time.
  10. S

There are a lot of people listening to 'perfect speakers on paper' who don't have a clue what a halfway decent speaker sounds like. Yes, measurements are so important. But in the end, you got hear it. With your ears. You're a human being...in totallity, you can hear, sense, feel and Intuit far...
  11. S

If there was a real need for me to validate it for myself...I guess I might want to measure it somehow. Part of science is observation. You can measure all you want but at the end of the day, the final verdict...whether a speaker gets to market...is a bunch if people agreeing that, yeah...OK...
  12. S

Speaker break in is a real thing. You need to hear this strange story. I recently purchased some Tannoy Turnberry GR speakers. When I opened the boxes, I realized there were no speaker grilles. I also made a note that the speakers were upside down in the box. The box clearly said ‘open the...
Top Bottom