Recent content by Sam Spade

1. S

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

I'm sure it can be measured and quantified. And if you put a musical fidelity nuvista tube amp, the matching transistor preamp and find a similar glass tube preamp, measure all three and do double blind testing we can get an answer.
  2. S

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

like audio in general, I'm sure there's a joke about wan*ing somewhere here but I can't think of it :-)
  3. S

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

i closed my eyes and did a blind test :-) I love my Sparkos Aries as much, maybe a bit more. All personal subjective preferences.
  4. S

Is a master clock needed?

did you say master cLock?
  5. S

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

the answer is go digital of some sort. Phono sucks.
  6. S

CD vs hi-res

how do you develop a precise voltage/volume relationship?
  7. S

CD vs hi-res

Nope. It's the SPL we perceive, not the volts.
  8. S

CD vs hi-res

yes we matched volume levels of course with a noise meter, as I worked at the EPA at the same time
  9. S

And frankly the Burson Conductor 3x is an awesome preamp/headamp/dac. and great value as far as audiophile stuff goes
  10. S

EDIT: Jim In my opinion, for a digital source, if you want value and convenience buy a Mojo 2. Amazing sound and portability, I use it on one of my home Marantz/dynaudio systems, my $10k car system and to drive audeze lcdxc and lcd4. The Qutest is better but not worth the extra...
  11. S

Jim In my opinion, for a digital source, if you want value and convenience buy a Mojo 2. The Qutest is better but not worth the extra cash.............. well MAYBE except listening through a Sparko Aries or a Burson Conductor 3x driving Audeze LCD4 or something like my Musical fidelity preamp...
  12. S

CD vs hi-res

I used to sell top end hifi. I still love music and hifi gear. And I'm a scientist, an ecologist, so I understand experimental design. When selling Hifi we did blind comparisons. we didn't have the resources to do double blind. We consistently found differences between CD players, but not...
  13. S

I have some great Marantz stuff driving speakers, but they do a shit job driving Audeze planar headphones. They drove top end Sennheizer dynamic headphones well, but I gave those to my mum when I upgraded to planars.
  14. S

I have a Burson Conductor 3x and a Musical Fidelity X-Cans fed by a Cambridge Audio 840c, also a Sparkos Aries fed by a Chord Qutest. I'm entirely happy listening to the Mojo 2. I also use the mojo 2 to feed a $10k Hertz car system.
  15. S

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

My Qutest and Mojo 2 sound awesome xxx
Top Bottom