Recent content by Robin L

1. Robin L

Mahler - Symphony No. 2

Baldwin pianos are "off" all the time. Someone used to a Steinway or Bosendorfer or Bechstein would find a Baldwin "off" on account of their metallic character.
  2. Robin L

Mahler - Symphony No. 2

Right now I've got four complete sets of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, three backed up on portable media. And have lots of additional recordings of the sonatas. I've soaked up the music without having to even think of reading the stuff [though if you stick a score in front of me of music I'm...
  3. Robin L

Mahler - Symphony No. 2

Don't worry, I'm just being "bitchy". Shorter answer is: Beethoven asked for fast. To go on further [not that you asked me to], the piano sonatas 1-10 [and 19 & 20, also early pieces] make more sense on fortepianos, or at least played in the manner of a fortepiano [as Wilhelm Kempff does], but...
  4. Robin L

Mahler - Symphony No. 2

Toscanini and Norrington are apples and avocados. Toscanini was a great conductor, but by the time he made the bulk of his recordings, he was a cranky old dude that fought against technology. This produced a threadbare sound. Studio 8-H was no place to make an orchestral recording, and when...
  5. Robin L

Vinyl is not as bad as I expected.

I prefer headphones. Odd, in that it has some of the aspects of surround [binaural recordings can have all]: there is a sense of being surrounded by sound. I also get the impression of hearing more low-level detail. I know it's not "real", but "Stereo" is not "real" either, insofar as the...
  6. Robin L

Mahler - Symphony No. 2

Pointing to post # 63: bitchy [ˈbiCHē] ADJECTIVE informal (bitchierbitchiest) (of a person's comments or behavior) malicious or unpleasant. "bitchy remarks" synonyms: malicious · mean · nasty · cruel · unkind · unfriendly · snide · hurtful · wounding · barbed · cutting · hateful · ill-natured...
  7. Robin L

This is not a review of a vintage Sony CDP-102 CD player

I was thinking of you getting that mechanism to move.
  8. Robin L

Mahler - Symphony No. 2

"Music Critics can be so Bitchy". Alfred Brendel, "Luncheon At The Music Center", L.A.'s classical radio's noon hour show, mid 1970's.
  9. Robin L

This is not a review of a vintage Sony CDP-102 CD player

Remember: DeOxit is your friend.
  10. Robin L

Pink Floyd works released in High Resolution

Had downloaded a hi-rez sampler a couple of years ago. First track is Diane Krall, first thing you hear is tape hiss and plenty of it. "Audiophiles" speak of the "infinite resolution" of analog sources without considering the obvious limits of reel to reel tape compared to digital recording.
  11. Robin L

Stereophile Tests $45k D'Augostino Monoblocks

"I'm signing you up for extra medication."
  12. Robin L

Cassette?

Metal tapes were better.
  13. Robin L

Cassette?

One reason is that indy artist don't have the access to pressing plants that majors do, so in order to send a fan a tangible souvenir the band resorts to dubbing cassettes. It brings in ore revenue than streaming, that's for sure.
  14. Robin L

THD has a much bigger effect on sound than you think

It's not, from what I have seen at this site. Often, third order distortion can be predominant.
  15. Robin L

Audioquest Niagara 1200 Review (Power Conditioner/Surge Protector)

Can he possibly be aware that this degree of hyperbole places a shadow over all his previous subjective reviews of audio gear?
Top Bottom