Recent content by redjr

1. R

Sony SSCS5

I just bought a pair for $123, based on a review from the Cheap Audio Man. In full disclosure, I have not listened to them for very long - yet. Just a brief, causal, near-field listen in my shop. They were connected to a 70W LM3886 amp. No subwoofer connected. I have to say that initially...
  2. R

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

Has Sony made any attempt to improve upon in the past 4 years? I wonder if adding a sub-woofer would improve the overall sonic listening experience by blending in some much needed bass to counter-balance out the sunglasses.
  3. R

Sony SSCS5

Okay.... Does anyone have anything positive to say about these speakers, now that we've gone down memory lane?
  4. R

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

It seems at this moment in time with the technology of DACs, it’s just about bragging rights. It’s a lofty life to claim much of a sonic improvement.
  5. R

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Clark, that's a real fine remote control you got there. If you've throwing it out, do you mind if I take it? I'm sure I could use it with that old microwave I have there in the ole RV.
  6. R

Fiio R7 Android Streamer Review

Really glad you reviewed this unit @amirm. I took a fancy to this when it was first released. It still tugs at my credit card. Glad it has respectable specs, and made your recommended list. Maybe some of the operational aspects using multiple apps will be improved in version 2. We can hope...
  7. R

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

I recently undertook a DAC project to make a small standalone streamer. I used the original Tone Board board(the DIY variant) cause I had a Khadas VIM3 SBC. More importantly, I had a very nice 1080P, 5" screen(Khadas branded) I wanted to use for simple roon controls. Back when I was doing...
  8. R

New Amp to Replace Topping Pa5

It looks like Topping has a new version(s) of this amp. Wonder if it has the potting thing sorted out. Gotta believe they do. A lower power one the PA5 II for $249, and a higher power one, the PA5 II Plus for $329. See them at APOS.
  9. R

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Any valid opinions - of either unit - might help a future buyer decide. I gave him my opinion of the kit. Of coursed it's biased! Too many people like to provide an opinion of products they don't own. I guess anyone can read the marketing material and look at the specs and come up with...
  10. R

To add to what Hxx said, the only difference worth noting is the build quality. Not that the Dx7 Pro is not up to par, but the K9 Pro is the perfect example of how a piece of kit should be built and look. It's not only beautiful, but industrial looking and rugged which is what a buyer should...
  11. R

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Yeah. The miniscule amount of audible improvement doesn't seem to always warrant a new, bright and shining DAC offering.
  12. R

From a design standpoint, FiiO hit a home run with their K9 Pro DAC/HAmp/Pre offering. It's industrial, yet elegant. The lines and angles are so pleasing. While in a different a price category, it seems to be solidly built. Mine hasn't fallen apart yet. ;)
  13. R

Yeah. They just don't build those AA like they use to! ;)
  14. R

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

They are a must with active speakers that generally only have one set of inputs. Some offer both RCA and XLR, but it's switchable - one or the other. My Freya S has finally found a home in my main system, used in passive mode exclusively. I wasn't sure after I got it, but it's all good now...
  15. R

Nor has my K9 exhibited this behavior. Fingers crossed. :)
Top Bottom