Recent content by RDoc

1. R

Dead Denon x3700H?

To finish this. We replaced the x3700H with an Integra DRX 3.4, reconnected everything exactly as it was on the Denon and all the problems are gone. Apparently the Denon had some very odd kind of failure and actually is dead.
  2. R

Dead Denon x3700H?

We've had our X3700H for about 4 years and it's been great, however, it now seems a bit dead. It's set up in Preamp mode with the pre-outs driving Neumann 120ii and 80 active speakers which has worked very well. The 2nd channels are feeding amplified speakers in other rooms. Suddenly though...
  3. R

Cat News?

Cats are not fans of Class D amps. I suspect they'd really like tube amps.
  4. R

Food Science Review

I've had better experiences with whole chicken cooked hot and fast than butterflied (spatchdocked). The whole chicken comes out juicer. What has worked very well for me is spatchdocked duck cooked low and slow to well done. It rendered out a lot of the fat as well as resulted in very tender...
  5. R

Food Science Review

WRT Roast Chicken. I'm a big fan of very hot cooking for whole chicken. For chicken I just salt and pepper the skin, get our smoker up to 550F then put a whole chicken in with a thermometer deep in the breast. Cook to 160F and let rest for about 10 minutes uncovered, then carve. This comes out...
  6. R

Food Science Review

I'm with PP. I cook/smoke our steaks at 225F to an internal temp of 120F (about 20 min) then let them rest, covered for about 5 minutes while my smoker gets up to 700F then sear them on each side for less than a minute and serve immediately. I've not heard any complaints.
  7. R

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

I listen to a lot of classical music of many different types, usually with a cat in my lap, a glass of wine in my hand and my wife next to me. In those cases I keep it pretty low, medium loud conversational level. When I'm listening alone I generally turn it up to very loud conversational level...
  8. R

Ultimate List of What Matters and What doesn't Matters or Audible Differences

You're right. I definitely don't want to not it. I think there's not a lot of difference!
  9. R

I meant to say NOT a lot of practical difference
  10. R

Yes. As I've improved our system I find more and more tracks that don't really sound very good. Unfortunately a lot are from early jazz albums.
  11. R

I'm pretty unconvinced that there's a lot of practical difference in speaker cables since the signal voltage is so high. However, I did have a system running unbalanced preamp out signals about 30' to a remote amplifier and did pick up audible noise from a local radio station. Replacing the...
  12. R

Can you limit subwoofer volume in multi eq x?

Multi eqX has something called "Low Frequency Containment" that's designed to do just that. I've no idea how well it works.
  13. R

Starlink is very good

Something to keep in mind though that the article didn't mention is that most of these are in low earth orbit which means they are subject to the drag of the extreme outer atmosphere so their orbits will naturally decay to reentry even if the satellites themselves are completely dead. They...
  14. R

Best home-theater/hifi setup below $2500?

Wiim pro plus optical out for 120ii, RCA for SVS Amazon $220; pair of Neumann 120 ii from musicstore.com $1480; SVS 1000 Amazon $600. I'd also strongly recommend getting a calibrated mic ~$100, and REW software (free) to tune everything
Top Bottom