Recent content by PointyFox

1. PointyFox

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

My A90D reaches 98F at 72F ambient.
  2. PointyFox

It's only a problem if you use the 1/4" jack on high gain and disconnect the headphone cable while the amp is on. Then it produces some noise in the left channel for like 1/4 of a second and occasionally throws a "-2" error, causing you to need to toggle the power off and on. So it's not an...
  3. PointyFox

Changing the firmware from 2.3 to 2.4 fixes the gain change, but the static is still there. I unplugged/replugged a few times and one of the unpluggings caused it to throw a "-2" error code until I powered it off/on. As a side note, I was just insulted for having a small amp on Head-fi. :facepalm:
  4. PointyFox

Yep, high gain does it. Causes static in the left channel and the amp to change to low gain.
  5. PointyFox

Just checked mine and no issue with the SE out. Took it up to about 85 volume on low. Feels the same as on my A90. My A90 didn't have any slip or squishiness either. The person I sold it to was also surprised with the quality of the volume knob.
  6. PointyFox

Check that your cable isn't shorted.
  7. PointyFox

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Can anything be gained sound-wise going from a Topping E50 to D90?
  8. PointyFox

Headphone Choices for Topping A90 Discrete

Yeah, it should be good with everything. Regarding a fun headphone for $500: For closed backs I'd recommend the E-mu Teak or a used Fostex TH900 for a little more. For open backs I'd recommend the Hifiman He6se v2.
  9. PointyFox

Head-Fi seems to be a gathering of a rare type of people who like the sound of distortion in their music. To them (yes, they've used all these adjectives): Lack of distortion = bright, sharp, fatiguing, cheap, painful, clinical, and sterile Distortion = powerful, rich, euphonic, wide...
  10. PointyFox

Upgrade or Stay Put?

My He6se v2 from Adorama was DoA too. Noticed a tear in one of the drivers. Ended up returning it and buying another. I'd say it's up there with the $1000-$2000 headphones as well. Not as good overall as my Stealth though.
  11. PointyFox

I have the Topping E50 sitting on it, which takes up about 2/3rds of the top. The temperature is uniform all around the A90D and the E50 is only 89 F, so I don't think it's having much effect. Otherwise the airflow around it is good.
  12. PointyFox

With an ambient temperature of 72 F, mine reaches a uniform 95 F at a volume of 67, low gain.
  13. PointyFox

My current chain is E50, A90D, Stealth.
Top Bottom