Recent content by Piere

1. P

Stereo amplifier, small, max ~350€ Buying advice

For that purpose I am very happy with a Topping MX5. It has no extensive parametric equaliser but the old way bass and treble controls. The headphone amp build in is very good too. For streaming and radio I use a RapsberryPi with Picoreplayer hooked to the MX5 by USB.
  2. P

Squeezebox (streamer) replacement?

Thanks for sharing! My SB Touch, one of the first delivered, is still running well on its original PSU wart. Only the paint of the RC became nasty sticky. Runs now with an external Topping E30-IIs Dac. Sounds a lot cleaner than the internal SB DAC.
  3. P

Best high-end speaker brands!

Probably the outcome of his 7-sided dice me think. Mine gave Dali as number one. But, I did put fresh batteries into it :cool:
  4. P

TSP #234 - QuantAsylum QA403 24-bit, 0.0001% THD Audio Analyzer Review, Teardown & Experiments

Looks promising! But not being ASIO and/or default USB2 Audio compatible is a real limitation IMHO. You are bound to their proprietary software.
  5. P

Squeezebox (streamer) replacement?

But in practice you need to know how to handle a screwdriver if you want your Pie in a neat box. How to handle your bowser to download a Picoreplayer image file from the Picocplayer web site and copy it to a micro SD card. Then some knowledge how to plug that card in the apropriate slot of the...
  6. P

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

Although the AD/DA can be better, the noise problem I am talking about is in de DSP: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dsp-measurements-and-rising-noise-floor.42383/
  7. P

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

Point with the 2x4 HD is, it uses a basic AD/DA codec chip to connect to the outside analogue world. Firstly an AKM one and after the fire at AKM they switched to a BB chip. Both reasonable ones, not bad, not high end. Just standard, giving results reported in the review long ago. On the board...
  8. P

DSP Measurements and Rising Noise Floor

Here my findings a year ago of a 24dB/okt LR X-Over at 100Hz. The measurements were done completely in the digital domain through USB, in as well as out. Flat (blue) versus 24dB/oct LR (yellow), test tones were 30Hz and 50Hz, both at -10dB: Same test at different signal levels: Looks...
  9. P

DSP Measurements and Rising Noise Floor

Encountered the same issue last year. Looked around also, no fix at the software release pages.
  10. P

Swapping class AB amp linear supply with a SMPS - incl measurements

Why not? With general use I did mean powering lamps, motors etc. Read the manual. They are designed especially for the characteristic fluctuating momentary load of audio amplifiers. This in contrast with generic SMPS that like to see a constant load. So class-AB wouldn't be a problem provided...
  11. P

Duh??? Of course, if you increase loop gain by an extra op-amp as Tom did, you will improve PSRR as well. Nothing special there.
  12. P

In what sense? If an amp fails, it fails. Most time by some sense of overload or in the long run by wear out of electrolytic capacitors. The Hypex SMPS are designed for their own Class-D amps, not for general use.
  13. P

True, the Hypex SMPS are intentionally not regulated. It is just a mains transformer as well, now at high switching frequency. What the amp sees is just the reflected input capacitors. And since the transformers contain a lot less copper than an EI transformer Ri is indeed a lot smaller. If that...
  14. P

You can diy a test burst at wish with the equation editor of Goldwave. It's share ware but its use is totally free. Short bursts like the EIA, show peak power. Longer bust of at least 0.1s, show dynamic behaviour of the PSU also.
  15. P

Audio Precision alternative

They make simply the most advanced gear in that particular market. That's all. But to make the best amplifiers you don't need it.
Top Bottom