Recent content by phrwn

1. phrwn

Budget HD800? Soundstage & comfort recommendation, please!

I think Crinacle does a reasonable job of explaining the 'Technicalities' bit in the article that explains his evaluation system. He also acknowledges it's hazy and even controversial, but it seems worthwhile to try to explain why we can't all just EQ Porta Pros to be the exact equivalent of...
  2. phrwn

FS: Single Kef R3, walnut

$800 pickup; shipping at cost. Single walnut Kef R3, with grille, bass baffle plug thing, and original box. Bought new a year ago, splitting a pair with another forum member here to use as a center channel. Selling because it doesn't quite fit in the media cabinet and it's lost the battle...
  3. phrwn

Please delete/close

You haven't said what your budget is, at least not on the first page, but you could just skip the entire miserable process of cycling through many options and get the HE-1, which is a complete set-up, and then never worry too much about whether or not there might be something better out there.
  4. phrwn

Need to improve home theater dialog

Yes I did check this and do see the center channel getting a signal when it should be. The display reliably says Stereo when it isn't sending anything to the center. As for the money, oh I know. Having already spent quite enough on this system it was a bit annoying to still be having this...
  5. phrwn

No I had it set on the 1-100 mode, so that's a percentage if it scales linearly.
  6. phrwn

Probably not the optimal solution, but it didn’t sound good, now it’s sounds fine, it didn’t cost anything, so I’ll take it.
  7. phrwn

I strongly suspect this is a big issue with this room too. Concrete floors, large windows, big spaces, hard surfaces everywhere. Moving to a somewhat more conventional place in a few weeks so it’ll be interesting to see how setting up from scratch (Audessy-wise) changes things.
  8. phrwn

Nice! For once, no money to spend. What a rare joy.
  9. phrwn

Well ok sure. But it’s now been tested for several hours this evening and no subtitles were required, dialog is vastly improved at a much lower overall system volume. So even if I’m not getting the best audio out of the system it’s now fit for purpose on a sound and aesthetic level. I’m...
  10. phrwn

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Update from the last time I thought I was done... :rolleyes: Desktop/home E-Mu Teaks are out because of a newfound comfort incompatibility with my new glasses. A shame because they're great. I replaced them with the Focal Elex. I tried DT1990's first but found the clamp force unbearable. The...
  11. phrwn

I am now, since it might have resolved the issue. We were generally having to listen in the 50-60 range on the Denon before. Everything was too loud and it was still hard to make out dialog. And that's with +3db on the center. As I said I think I might still switch the center for an R2c because...
  12. phrwn

I just put it all back together. I'll try that after I move and have to set it all up again.
  13. phrwn

Ok I tried a bunch of things including pulling the entire center situation (speaker, gadgets, clutter, shelf) out and putting the speaker back raised on yoga blocks. I thought that helped but then checked by removing the blocks and wasn't so sure. I also tried toggling Dynamic EQ and Dynamic...
  14. phrwn

Thanks for all the help everyone! I think it's more of a positional issue than a settings issue, so I'm going to play around with that first. If it improves by running the center higher up or on top of the cabinet I may still switch it out for an R2c to recover the aesthetics, but at least I can...
Top Bottom