Recent content by pevzi

1. pevzi

Help me choose a DAC/AMP under 200 USD

It probably depends on the USB output you use. In case of my old laptop, when I tried connecting the line out of my E10K to Atom Amp it resulted in a noticeably elevated noise floor, compared to what I heard when plugging my headphones to E10K's own headphone output. I had considered keeping my...
  2. pevzi

Measurement and Review of JDS Labs USB OL DAC

Got OL DAC for use with Atom, and it's been fine so far. No clicking or dropouts when switching between tracks, acceptable latency, low enough noise floor, a dim green LED that doesn't burn your eyes out at night. My only nitpick is the need for another power socket, but I reckon it's a...
  3. pevzi

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

So much has already been said about Atom's volume pot imbalance, and I expected it to be a long solved problem. But unfortunately the unit I received around the New Year still suffers from this issue. From what I can hear, the imbalance is kept within the given specs, that is, it doesn't seem...
  4. pevzi

AudioQuest JitterBug USB Filter Review

You should measure its effect in combination with one of their DragonFly DACs. What if it only works with them? :p
  5. pevzi

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Yeah, I know about this. I made sure it didn't exceed 0 db and even tried to apply -3 db more preamplification but it didn't help. It doesn't even sound like distortion to me (or it may be some other kind of distortion I don't know of). It's more like subtle "sparkling" that doesn't seem to...
  6. pevzi

Quick update. Just discovered that the "Graphic EQ" module did add some kind of rattling in the subbass. Granted, I noticed it while listening to pure sine waves and not actual music, but now I know that my fears weren't entirely unfounded and it may actually cause some unwanted noise to appear...
  7. pevzi

Thanks. Just installed Equalizer APO and discovered that the most offending region on MSR7 was in fact not in the mids, but at around 10k. Dialing it down by 4.5 db made them sound a lot smoother. Guess I'll keep them for now. It feels embarrassing now that I never even tried this option...
  8. pevzi

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Still have a love-hate relationship with these. Hate the unbearably creaky plastic and the midrange harshness that becomes too much with some tracks. Love their airy, clean and effortless sound that doesn't sacrifice bass quality as well. Constantly oscillating between...
  9. pevzi

The problem with the choice of DAC

This is the typical recommendation I've always heard people give, and it made sense to me. But what surprised me a little bit is that the OL DAC manual suggests setting the digital volume "slightly below 100% at your computer". I suppose it's done as a measure against clipping at intersample...
  10. pevzi

0.01% is still pretty good I guess, thanks. Sadly, no, I haven't heard any of them, so I have to rely on subjective descriptions from audiophiles. Sundara was another headphone I was considering actually, but after watching/reading some reviews I've come to a conclusion that Verum 1 should...
  11. pevzi

I'm considering getting Atom and Verum 1, but I'm a bit concerned about their low impedance, which is said to be just 8 Ohm. If I understand it correctly, it means that they're very current-hungry and may pair poorly with some amps (to the point of the amp shutting down at high volumes). Does...
Top Bottom