Recent content by Patrick Bateman

1. P

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I WISH I COULD UPVOTE THIS 1000x This is the most ridiculous part of this entire saga: at this price point, this isn't a bad speaker. To me, it seems like Tekton could have earned a TON of business if they posted Erin's interview, thanked him for his service, and basically said "check out the...
  2. P

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

lol I had the same reaction. The podcast was about as exciting as listening to someone read names in a phone book.
  3. P

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

It's exactly why I'm so irritated by all of this. For instance, I know a thing or two about loudspeaker design, and I've posted on diyaudio where I showed people how the Tekton array works. I never considered that I might face legal action. I work hard for my money and the last thing I need is...
  4. P

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Years ago, I bought a pair of used Vandersteens off of Craigslist, mostly based on many glowing reviews in Stereophile. As soon as I plugged them in, I could tell something was 'off.' Eventually I measured them, and it confirmed my suspicions. Their measurements aren't atrocious but the...
  5. P

JBL CBT 70JE-1 Review (CBT Bass Speaker)

I've heard the Dayton CBTs and it's quite wild; you can put your head up against the speaker, then walk to the middle of the room, and the SPL level doesn't really change. I've built a lot of Unity horns and the phenomenon is nearly the opposite; with Unity horns, they get LOUD when you're up...
  6. P

JBL CBT 70JE-1 Review (CBT Bass Speaker)

Doubling the height only drops the directivity cutoff by a single octave. So, yes, the measured difference won't be night and day. I believe a lot of these speakers wound up in actual movie theaters. That makes a lot of sense there, where the ceiling is so tall. IE, if you put one of these in...
  7. P

JBL Studio 630 and Studio 698 - Review & Measurements by Erin

Headphones are a cash cow, loudspeaker margins are awful. Kids won't think twice about spending $600 on headphones but getting them to spend $1800 on loudspeakers is tough.
  8. P

Designed in California, manufactured in China with drivers built in Mexico. Welcome to The New Normal.
  9. P

Note that the 530 and it's brethren, that this new line is replacing, was designed by Greg Timbers. It was one of the last projects he worked on before Samsung started laying off The Old Guard. I have no idea if Charles Sprinkle was part of those layoffs, but he founded Kali Audio after working...
  10. P

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

I'm hardly an expert on transient response, but as I understand it, transient response is largely dependent on frequency response, the rolloff in particular. In other words, the negative opinion of bandpass subs isn't because you have a sub that's radiating it's output through a port, the...
  11. P

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

Ground loop. You have a ground loop. It hisses in the attic because you created a ground loop. I had the *exact* same problem for years, until I learned a little bit about grounding. It's unreal how much a good ground can improve the sound of your active speakers. If you want to run down a...
  12. P

Upcoming Tom Danley Hifi speakers

A bit similar to this, but in the case of your horn, visualize it being driven by a suitably small source to the left of that slot. Similar to how a 30cm woofer can radiate a 50hz (680cm) wave. When the aperture is large enough, the waves form. For low frequencies in your Monolith horn, the...
  13. P

Upcoming Tom Danley Hifi speakers

Simple: there is no wave. For instance, 1khz is 34cm long. If the slot is small enough, a wave cannot form. You're basically just creating pressure. The wave forms when the aperture is large enough for the wave to form. It was one of the things that took a while for me to grasp, with the...
  14. P

New mysterious Genelec monitors

I'm always a bit wary of coaxial compression drivers. JBL M2 has one, a bunch of the Danley speakers do too. I can understand why they choose to use them, but the complexity and the cost just go through the ceiling. You can get a quality compression driver for about $75-$150 each, but as soon...
  15. P

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Hopefully they make one or two more and scale everything down
Top Bottom