Recent content by Ordin Aryguy

1. O

Artists You Have Discovered Lately

Plini. Best described (by me) as ”Steve Vai lite.” Great guitar work without the in your face attitude of Yngwie.
  2. O

When did you last listen to live music

Helmet at the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC, on 05-09-24. This is a "bucket list" band for me. Finally had the chance to see them.
  3. O

"4 Ohm vs 8 Ohm: Which is better for audio?"

What seems to be missing is that not all amplifiers are comfortably capable of driving "lower" impedance speakers. In our times there are plenty of amplifiers easily capable of handling anything that a 4ꭥ speaker can throw at it. This wasn't always the case. In days of old, amplifiers with...
  4. O

New Purifi amplifiers coming

How many dB reduction below the test frequency should we consider? I still contend that 600W will be painfully, dangerously loud, even into low efficiency speakers. edit: corrected wonky spelling
  5. O

New Purifi amplifiers coming

It's not stated which Perlisten speakers you have, but they all seem to have reasonable sensitivity spec's. The S7t's are rated at 92.2dB @ 1W. That's pretty darned sensitive. Here's a quick chart showing the SPL of a 92.2dB @ 1W speakers at power levels from 1W to 600W... It only takes 6W to...
  6. O

Why "High end" exist?

Thanks for giving me the benefit of doubt from your earlier post. The assumption that I, or anyone, simply won't listen to another's point of view is a touch short-sighted. None of us will learn anything, on any subject or matter, including what drives a fellow enthusiast in this hobby that we...
  7. O

Why "High end" exist?

Not necessarily true. Generally I like to believe I’m open minded and always willing to listen to an alternate opinion. In the context of this thread, what is it about uber expensive audio gear that justifies the 100x, or in some cases 1000x price premium over ”normal” gear? Is there something...
  8. O

Why "High end" exist?

This something I wrote in a previous, similar thread… Post in thread 'How people choose very expensive High-End speakers?' https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-people-choose-very-expensive-high-end-speakers.52520/post-1896106 The decision to buy “high end” has little to...
  9. O

Magnepan LRS Tweeter attenuation

There are quite a number of myths surrounding Magnepans. "Lots of Current" and "Lots of Power" are the two biggies. Lots of Power/Current compared to what, non-planar speakers? 8 Ohm speakers? Almost the entire Magnepan speaker catalog is rated at 4 Ohm impedance. There are plenty of non-planar...
  10. O

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Spend some time with the Amplifier Power Required section of the Crown Audio online System Design Tools. Your answer will be found there. https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/tools/calculators Just be sure to use 83dB for the Loudspeaker Sensitivity Rating as the Magnepans are rated at 2.83V, which...
  11. O

"Premium" USB & Ethernet cables?

Error correction guarantees that the data that enters the cable is correctly received and interpreted by the distal end electronics. Else it enters a loop and resends the corrupt data until it is received properly. This is the same regardless if the cable costs $4.00 or $400.00. …. But you’re...
  12. O

Share your favorite free (or low cost) tweaks!

I wanted to add a few degrees of tilt to a speaker... So using the materials at hand, and suspiciously there are always a bunch of artificial wine corks around here, I made a couple. A few wine corks, some hot melt glue, and viola, speaker tilters ready for action. Of course I could make up...
  13. O

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

When I see that shiny white finish all I can picture is a porcelain "something." ... like a high tech urinal with an integrated hand dryer.
  14. O

How people choose very expensive High-End speakers?

Not too long ago there was a series on TV called Northern Exposure. Phenomenal show! Anyhow, in one of the episodes Maurice Minnifield bought a very expensive antique clock. A technician came with the clock to install it and ensure it was working. A day or two goes by and Maurice (a former...
  15. O

Road Trip Required

The record store across from the science museum finally closed for good? Shame. Now the only reason to go downtown is Dinosaur. Benchmark, of Benchmark AHB2 amplifier fame here at ASR, is located in Syracuse. It might be worthwhile contacting them to see if they are aware of a place where...
Top Bottom