Recent content by Omid

1. O

Standards for Audio Electronics Measurements?

The following may be self evident, but for clarity, there seems to be 3 separate categories in the specs discussed above: 1.minimum specs to allow standardization of measurement: you need every measured DAC (or preamp ‘out’) to have a minimum unbalanced output of 2V to fairly compare them. same...
  2. O

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

The M2 has a max output of 16dBu for TRS output and 9.5dBu by RCA. The Yamaha monitor input sensitivity is -10dBu. When you turn up the volume past a certain point you far exceed the maximum voltage the Yamaha allows. That’s why the speakers distort.
  3. O

Ideally, you want to go from low impedance to high impedance so there is less power loss and less frequency range error. That said 600 ohms going into 2.5Kohm for the XLR input is a reasonable ratio: you’ll get 80% of the voltage you would compared to the TRS. You won’t break anything, so if...
  4. O

Blind Listening Test 2: Neumann KH 80 vs JBL 305p MkII vs Edifier R1280T vs RCF Arya Pro5

Thank you so much for sharing your insights. I was wondering whether you ever looked at intra-observer scoring variability over time. My impression is that our subjective enjoyment of sound varies tremendously based on our mood, type of music, playback volume, expectations (big expensive...
  5. O

Blind Listening Test 2: Neumann KH 80 vs JBL 305p MkII vs Edifier R1280T vs RCF Arya Pro5

Does anyone know of any good binaural recordings? I’m curious to listen to that with headphones to see how it sounds. I suspect it works best if the dummy head has similar head and canal shape to the listener’s body (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3561850/).
  6. O

Yes, that totally makes sense it would reduce time and effort to exclude some participants. I’m just saying that ideally you would state your exclusions [for example colour blind people] before you start the test. And then your conclusion will be that lipstick X is preferred by non-colorblind...
  7. O

This is just a general comment on experiments, not on this particular test (the data was excluded due to improper level matching), but when it comes to this comment above, it’s not strictly correct: If you want a valid experiment, data cannot be screened out once a study has started. All...
  8. O

You may have already discussed your methodology elsewhere, so sorry if I repeat something you’ve already considered. For the next test may I suggest having each listener rate the same speaker on 3 different occasions, in blinded fashion? So if you test 5 speakers, you’d run the test 15 times...
  9. O

Sorry I had misunderstood your question. Adahn’s answer was much better!!
  10. O

The impedance is lower on the XLR connection. Have a look at the attached image.
  11. O

Can you explain your setup a bit. Do you have a preamp between the turntable and the motu (I’m guessing you don’t). If you don’t do you have a a step up transformer for impedance matching (because your cartridge may not play optimally at the impedance of the motu’s input). if you use the trs...
  12. O

The XLR ports are mono. Have you pushed on the monitor button next to the input? If so the mono signal will be sent to both r and l channels.
  13. O

Amir, If you still have the unit and have the time, can you please run a SINAD on the mic input with gain turned up to max? Just curious about the performance of the mic amp for conducting measurements for DSP room corrections.
  14. O

ASR Getting Into Measuring Headphones!

@amirm I wonder if measuring a few loudspeakers at ~10 feet with this system might provide some interesting data (sort of a summation of direct and indirect sound). I realize there are no standards to compare to, but measuring a few well behaved speakers and some crappy speakers might yield...
  15. O

Mitch Barnett's New Calibration Service

I I have two Ahb2 amps connected in bridged mono, so I can have 4 channels of amplification to do a digital XO if I want to. My DAC is a MOTU8a which is multichannel, so no problem there. My sub is powered separately. Maybe I should just go for it. Are the woofers typically just screwed in...
Top Bottom