Recent content by nscrivener

1. N

Steve Guttenberg says this R2R DAC sounds like Vinyl

I'm all for the creative use of tubes in recording, but once the artists and engineers have decided on what they want, and delivered you the product, why would you want to go and add distortion? I hate it when people use analogies with live music production and recordings. It's not actually...
  2. N

MQA creator Bob Stuart answers questions.

A low pass filter is essentially a gate through which a signal passes, before the gate is a wider frequency range and after the gate frequencies above a certain threshold have been removed. You're talking about a process where the signal has been high pass filtered, but the brain fills in some...
  3. N

What? What has the missing fundamental effect got to do with this? A speaker that cannot reproduce the fundamental, but can produce the harmonics, can result in the brain interpreting the sound as including the fundamental. That is nothing to do with any so called "biological low pass filter".
  4. N

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

The author of REW recommends only going up to 200hz. Depending on the speakers and the room, different degrees of toe-in will work best. Some even suggest aggressive toe-in which crosses 1m in front of the listening position. It's worth trying all the options. It sounds like your room is going...
  5. N

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Room EQ can only help with bass frequencies. I would start with the basics. Do you have your speakers placed optimally? Small adjustments can make big differences. You want to ensure the distance from the rear and side walls is just right. Also experiment with the amount of toe in. Next...
  6. N

Shouldn't the burden of proof lie with those proposing an alternative to the prevailing norm?
  7. N

Sorry, the cut and paste got rid of them. I was in a rush before.
  8. N

I thought this was an interesting section in one of the above papers: Temporal resolution and digital signals In most fields of science, "to resolve" means to "substantially preserve the essence of the original signal" and in particular to be preserve enough information in the signal so that it...
  9. N

I think that part of the problem is that we have an extended discussion coming from many angles, as well as several slightly off-topic things being discussed in the same thread. If you want people to follow what you are arguing, then I think that it would be helpful at the beginning of each...
  10. N

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

That's what I thought about my RME ADI-2 dac. Until now, dammit.
  11. N

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

Ok, so we have an active member on this forum, who just produced the best engineered DAC that Amir has ever reviewed, AND they felt it was worthwhile to support MQA ;)
  12. N

"Unser [18] presents graphs that suggest that 3 to 4 times oversampling might be needed, depending on the order of the spline and the level of residual error required." I'm not really sure how you think that was a relevant omission? Oversampling is a standard strategy employed in most dacs...
  13. N

If 16-bit 44khz is close to but not quite transparent in all circumstances, then you would expect there to be difficulty in measuring the effect and you would expect it to be small. That doesn't show that's it's pathological. I personally have no vested interest in this whatsoever. I'm just...
  14. N

This is what we have: a) Preliminary evidence about the audibility of improvements in audio beyond 16 bit 44khz. b) Hypotheses regarding why the artifacts of filters could be responsible for the outcomes at a) above c) Pure theory about an alternative approach to standard brick-wall filtering...
  15. N

Perhaps Amir should stop reviewing dacs then? Certainly no need for the master SINAD list, either a DAC is good enough to be transparent or not. I don't see that happening. And the fact is, we aren't in a place where we can conclusively say that this is irrelevant, when we have some evidence...
Top Bottom