Recent content by Night&Day

1. Night&Day

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

https://www.klippel.de/know-how/measurements/power-handling-heat-dissipation/accelerated-life-and-power-testing.html
  2. Night&Day

'Loudspeaker drivers are the only parts in a hi-fi system that change sound characteristics after a short period of use. The suspension consists of fibrous materials and elastomers that are anything but linearly elastic and i.a. exhibits significant creep, some of which is irreversible and leads...
  3. Night&Day

Questioning the MiniDSP 2x4 sound quality.

The gain on the outputs can be boosted 12 dB. In my experience the miniDSP sounds "right" after that adjustment. I also only lower peaks in my filters.
  4. Night&Day

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

I own the DDRC-24 "basic" ie 2x4 HD and it's connected to the balanced inputs on the monitors. Using the consumer setting -10 dB on the monitors adds a lot of noise and the sound quality suffers. Boosting the gain on the outputs on the 2x4 HD 12 dB and adjusting the monitors to the +4 dB setting...
  5. Night&Day

I meant boosting 12 dB on the DDRC-24. The speakers are active monitors with the amps placed inside the box. The noise isn't very audible and gone in less than two feet.
  6. Night&Day

"According to engineers it only takes a few minutes, according to audiophiles it's hundreds of hours" It's somewhere in between for some speakers. Most people probably don't notice the changing sound over some hours while some take notice of the change. Muted dynamics and a bit weak bass would...
  7. Night&Day

Would there be any change in noise if 12 dB gain was added to the outputs? My active speakers have some very low noise in the tweeter but there's no noticeable change if I disconnect the miniDSP.
  8. Night&Day

Scientific objective measurement supplied by Klippel: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/do-audio-speakers-break-in.11898/page-30#post-798117
  9. Night&Day

Muted dynamics can be audible the first few hours and is probably due to stiff spider(s).
  10. Night&Day

Of course break-in is audible in some speakers. The brain gets used to the changes because the audible memory is short. Comparison between a broken in and a new speaker can be revealing. Klippel have practically provided evidence that dynamics will be clipped with a new speaker. Muted dynamics...
  11. Night&Day

Where did all the posts go? There were Klippel measurements and stuff here yesterday.
  12. Night&Day

MiniDSP 2x4 HD Questions

Time for an update? Did the Khadas do wonders?
  13. Night&Day

Post #89 amirm: "It is 18 dB worse than Topping D50 which puts it around 90. The test was with my old analyzer and I was not computing the SINAD then. "
  14. Night&Day

Some of the filters sound muddy. Symmetrical 24dB LR at 180Hz works best for me. At 180Hz higher order BW filters sounds very muddy to me. In my experience, maximizing the gain on the output, 12 dB, resulted in significantly better audio quality vs having it set to the default 0. Or am I...
Top Bottom