Recent content by nessism

1. N

Best DAC

I spent the money on a Topping D30/A30 Pro system and love it. To be honest, though, I can't tell the difference in sound quality between the E30/L30 combo I had before. It's all good, though, since my son wanted the E/L setup, so it gave me an excuse to "upgrade." The only meaningful...
  2. N

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Looks like another great product from Topping. Maybe a dumb question, but how come some units, amps mostly, have vent holes and others don't? I'm happily using a D/A 30 Pro setup, and the amp, with venting holes, gives off a fair bit of Q. This unit looks quite compact with a lot going on...
  3. N

Some Help with First DAC/amp/HP Please

Topping L30 amp and D30 dac are very hard to beat from the bang for the buck standpoint. These components give up a few features but not much in terms of distortion free listening quality. For headphones the Drop Sennheiser 6XX or 58X are hard to beat. You will have to pay a lot more money...
  4. N

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Listening to my new D30 Pro as I type and loving it. Such a nice unit. It exceeds my expectations. I'm using the preamp mode to feed my L30 amp. Stupid newbie question but under what situations do people use the DAC mode verses the preamp mode?
  5. N

The New King?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but high resolution audio feed via Tidal or similar basically doubles the price of the service. At what point is it worth it? Specifically, what level of headphones/speakers does it take to realize the difference?
  6. N

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

I ordered a D30 Pro from Apos yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive. I'm going to pair it with an L30 amp. The L30 I've got is one of the warranty replacement jobbies that Topping sent out. The power adapter for my L30 got burned up, along with my old E30 DAC, when my son plugged them...
  7. N

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

I've got that same sound card (not the version II card which is worse) and use it as my benchmark. I've done countless back to back tests against Topping E30/L30, and/or using a Schiit Magni 3+ amp, and can't for the life of me tell any difference when using my HD6XXX headphones. I think that...
  8. N

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Newbie question: with a DAC like this that outputs 4V is a headphone amp needed to drive a 300 ohm headphone set? Reason for asking is that my old E30 DAC, which outputs 2V, were able to drive my Drop HD 6XXX headphones fine, even though I did buy a L30 amp to go with it.. With double the...
  9. N

Schiit Modi 3+ Review (Stereo DAC)

Subjective opinion request time... A connection snafu fried my Topping E30 so I'm in need of a DAC. I've got a brand new (updated) L30 amp and a low mileage Schiit Magni. What dac? Another E30 for $150 or a Schiit Modi for $100? I'm not a super hifi guy and simply listen though my HD6XXX...
  10. N

Topping E30 DAC Review

I did search but not super hard. I'll look on youtube based on your comment. Fingers crossed...
  11. N

Topping E30 DAC Review

Yes, it was the L30 AC adapter. So back to the original question: how to open the case. It seems hermitically sealed (kidding.) No joke about how tight it fits together though.
  12. N

Topping E30 DAC Review

Correct. Normally the power comes from the PC via the USB cable.
  13. N

Topping E30 DAC Review

The E30 was working fine but I took it out of service recently while waiting for the recalled companion L30 to be replaced. My son wanted to try the DAC on his computer but when he plugged it in, via USB power input, he said nothing happened. That's when he plugged up the 15V power adapter and...
  14. N

Topping E30 DAC Review

E30 is displaying the E-d code. Think it's do to a 15V headphone amp power adapter being plugged into the power input port. Smells burnt. I want to open it up and look for something obviously burnt but can't figure out how to open the case. I removed three screws on the back but the guts...
  15. N

Confused Newbie with Questions about DAC's and Headphone Amps

Got the Heresy and hooked it up. Sounds great. Did more back to back tests against the Asus STX card and can't tell any difference. All good. I think my old AVR must be corrupting the signal because since bypassing that the sound quality is outstanding.
Top Bottom