Recent content by nerdstrike

1. N

Audio Note speakers

I weigh ~70kg and can produce about 150 watts of power for a reasonable while, what will they pay for me? Admittedly I lack firm control of the mids.
  2. N

Shogun

Superb series (to episode 8). Grade A for creating a real sense of inscrutable plotting from all corners. Played Shogun: Total War about 20 years ago, seems legit!
  3. N

The Pineapple Thief – It Leads To This – Comparison Blu-ray stereo , 5.1, Dolby Atmos, Tidal MAX, CD. Is the blu-ray the new “audiophile” media?

Well isn't that interesting. Lousy way to grab a track though. Like finding something in her middle of a tape.
  4. N

KEF R5 or Q950C? Below 2000 any other speaker recommend?

With a subwoofer, I'd take the R5 (and I did!). It's a very tidy little tower next to the TV, and a managed woofer does a lot to mitigate the shortcomings of the R5's small bass drivers. In exchange you get better directionality and nicer packaging. To be clear I'm favouring furniture and...
  5. N

What's your greatest/best most practical Idea/invention in your life (so far anyway)

I co-wrote an A-level synthetic chemistry playground/problem generator in Pascal (oh no!). Terminal-grade graphics and a very immature codebase, but it was certainly interesting to write. I think the code is lost on some degraded floppy disk somewhere :/ could have made about 30 pence in ad...
  6. N

Two audiophiles walk into a bar... (finish the joke)

Two audiophiles walk into a bar. A band is playing live to a happy audience. The two seem restless and move about, then leave without so much as a drink. "They sounded crap!" said one. "I know!" said the other. "Every band should have four bass players." Bonus points to anyone who can come up...
  7. N

Detonation Engine

If you look into how the skyactive engine tech works, or indeed the pre-ignition designs used in current F1 cars (I think!), there's already substantial work on very high AFR combustion for efficiency. My understanding of the continuous detonation thing is that it's fine for the combustion...
  8. N

Popping a 5000 Amp Fuse

Ah, good old photonic induction. What a lunatic, with enough knowledge to avoid death. Very enjoyable and sometimes very interesting videos
  9. N

Two channel amp with HDMI eARC?

Gosh, that does seem like a good price. I was expecting 600-800 gbp/eur/usd.
  10. N

A new hype in the world of the ultrarich: glass speakers

Well... The main problem I see is that you can see the absorbent materials you would normally pack the cabinet with, hence it doesn't have any. They've also had to try quite hard to make the wiring look good. The aesthetic isn't bad... But you'd better hire a cleaner regularly or he an absolute...
  11. N

Therapy thread for those looking to upgrade for no logical reason

It's small-fry, but I find that having wasted £120 on a dragonfly red, I contemplate a "proper" headphone dac+amp despite low impedance headphones and nowhere to plug in an additional wall-wart.
  12. N

UK Post Office Horizon Accounting Software Scandal

"Too expensive to fix the software" was stated at some point early on. That right there is wrong in several ways. Makes me think of SLS, and the 737 Max 8...
  13. N

Does music theory qualify as a theory?

I agree from the point of view of predicting gravitational waves and such, but a well trained musician can indeed predict what music might sound like without playing it first (subject to their interpretation). Then again, the three body problem and ubiquitous reliance on ideal gas law, the...
  14. N

Windows 10 No output devices Is anyone having this problem?

Fertile ground for such, definitely. See also "have you tried turning it off and on again?".
  15. N

Windows 10 No output devices Is anyone having this problem?

Don't knock it if it works! Computers are complex piles of software and hardware 80 layers deep. Nobody truly knows the whole system, so we make guesses based on experience.
Top Bottom