Recent content by nathan

1. nathan

Revel M16 Speaker Review

Do you mean, the question isn’t whether these speakers make sound off axis. All these designs do. The question Is whether that off axis sound has the same tonal characteristics (frequency response shape) as the on axis sound?
  2. nathan

Tonewinner AD7300 7-channel amp

Yes I agree, if someone is looking for an in home trial at the expense of the vendor, that is not likely to happen. Yes, if one wants to sent it back, it could cost one a few hundred dollars in restocking fees. If I was in the market for an amp, I might be tempted to take the risk. But...
  3. nathan

I don't understand the need to tell them anything in particular. Why not just go to https://www.summithifi.com/collections/tonewinner-audio/products/ad-7300pa-amplifier and click buy it now, and enter @amirm's shipping address as the delivery address, and pay the price. Done. Then, if one...
  4. nathan

Truth. I've had gear that the manufacturer says was operating within spec so not eligible for warranty work, even when it clearly measured poorly versus other samples, itself at another time, or the marketing materials' claims. So now I just make sure there is a no fault no questions asked no...
  5. nathan

Setup error? Damaged stylus? Music Hall MMF 5.1 issues? Goldring 1012GX issue? Goldring D12 stylus issue?

Thanks for the idea. Hall recommended Ortofon 2M blue to me. That's a different class of cartridge/stylus but I'm realizing that since my vinyl is mostly older pressings, not all of which are pristine, that something more forgiving of setup/challenging LPs may be the most practical. I guess...
  6. nathan

Setup error? Damaged stylus? Music Hall MMF 5.1 issues? Goldring 1012GX issue? Goldring D12 stylus issue?

I may be a fool or a glutton for punishment but I'm considering simply getting the d42 stylus (which is a two step upgrade in their lineup) since it is compatible with the cartridge already installed, and "just" 30% more than the stylus I have.....for the simple reason that since I need...
  7. nathan

Have you kept with the Goldring or have you moved on to another cartridge. I guess that is my decision point to make: Replace the stylus or move on. If this is likely to happen again due to the design of this cartridge, then I should probably cut my losses and start fresh with something else.
  8. nathan

Cool. I'll hit up some dealers and see what pricing and availability is like.
  9. nathan

Yes assuming the diagnosis is correct regarding the issue I suspect this is the path of least resistance. Thanks. Fwiw I haven’t compared enough cartridges/styluses to know whether I like this more than the alternatives…..so maybe this is a chance to compare test or learn.
  10. nathan

I’m gonna estimate it was a couple hundred hours of playback on this cartridge (and this original stylus). Thanks for the ideas about alternates. I put in an order for that basic Audio Technica more just to have something to test with and something to listen with while I shopped for a better...
  11. nathan

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps. Yes, the tonearm also has those markings and they closely match what my scale says. However, I just heard from Music Hall and they believe the suspension on the stylus has failed and the stylus must be replaced (or of course I could do the whole...
  12. nathan

Thanks for the tip. At the very least, this will give me a basis for testing that is cheap.
  13. nathan

The cartridge (Goldring 1012GX) or at least the stylus section (D12 also from Goldring) seems like it is sitting lower against the LP than ever before and tracking has gotten worse. EDIT UPDATE TLDR after double checking all the setup factors Music Hall confirms this is a failure of the stylus...
  14. nathan

Yes, though there is a restocking fee and the buyer pays for (at least return) shipping from what one can infer from the SummitHiFi web site. Pretty normal stuff. Doesn't look like anything prevents one from buying it, having it sent to Amir, and then if within the return window, deciding...
Top Bottom