Recent content by nathan

1. nathan

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

Thanks in advance for sharing those when time permits.
  2. nathan

I think @rynberg covered it. But either way, the whole design of down mixing a center channel content into a L&R speaker for playback should compensate for an effect like that.
  3. nathan

Can you say more about paragraph two. I don’t understand this paragraph at all.
  4. nathan

I will be curious to hear what you learn. FYI, if you want to use a DD test file with just the center channel playing -- to compare that result with the PCM test tone from REW's own generator -- a user on another forum created a set and shared them freely. There is a way to actually use it...
  5. nathan

Just to be clear, we may be talking about two different things? Apologies for being really overly specific in how I write this, but it is hard for me to describe it well. REW would not get and does not generate a down mixed signal. Rather, REW generates a normal center channel signal, and...
  6. nathan

It's an interesting question. I would surmise that it should/would. Maybe, for a PCM signal like from REW, this is the Wild West and AVR makers can choose how to handle it. It would mean that every test tone sweep will sound wrong if the source is multi channel PCM, but sound right if the...
  7. nathan

Don't need to select phantom center. You send a CENTER CHANNEL signal to the AVR. The AVR takes that and downmixes it into a phantom center.
  8. nathan

The OP said he is using 4.1 as hit speaker setup. This uses a phantom center by definition.
  9. nathan

Right. But the OP said he is using a 4.1 setup, not a two channel stereo option.
  10. nathan

Almost all the content I play is 7.1 content, but I have a 5.1 speaker layout. The AVR doesn’t throw away the rear channel content. It downmixes the rear channel content into the surround speakers, combining it with the side surround channels.
  11. nathan

Is that the pre-outs? If so that’s disappointing. I can’t imagine running ARC will solve that but I suppose it is worth trying?
  12. nathan

On the face of it that would seem to make sense.
  13. nathan

All that being said using REW in a normal room to test this is probably not too precise. Room gain and different boundary conditions between the various speakers could easily create a 3db difference. The real test is probably taking the preamp output direct into REW or similar software.
  14. nathan

It’s an honest answer but I’ll bet it’s not how Dolby specifies downmixing for Dolby content.
  15. nathan

JDS Atom Amp 2 Headphone Amplifier Review

I don’t follow. Switching power supplies are stupid cheap these days.
Top Bottom