Recent content by napilopez

1. N

Q Acoustics 3020i Bookshelf Speaker Review

Definitely worth going for the 3030i if you can. When I used MZKM's sheet to compute preference scores based on my measurements (shared earlier in the thread), I got a 3.9/6.8 for the 3020i. Not totally sure the cause of the w/sub discrepancy given how close my measurements were to Amir's in...
  2. N

Q Acoustics 3020i Bookshelf Speaker Review

Thanks for this @amirm! It occurs to me again how we can hear deviations differently. Bright isn't a word I think ever came to mind with the 3020i for me. I personally liked this little speaker a lot, but the one flaw I that stood out to me was actually that it sounded laid back. I think...
  3. N

Stereo vs mono - what is the ideal frequency response?

I have been summoned! The L100 Classics always sounded a little forward to me (which I liked), and definitely seemed more colored when outside the sweet spot. However, I always sit in the same spot of my couch when I care about the sound, so it didn't matter to me. And to @March Audio's point...
  4. N

How is your dream speaker like?

Those things are all probably part of it! But the reason I mentioned HRTF specifically is that to me there is still no speaker system in the world that comes close to the realism of a good binaural sound on good headphones, should the binaural dummy head used for the recording work well with...
  5. N

How is your dream speaker like?

My dream speakers are good headphones with a hrtf that works perfectly... And that I could share with other people!
  6. N

Research Project: Infinity IL10 Speaker Review & Measurements

I don't think that bit of jaggedness would affect the score that much; hard to imagine it'd do more than 0.1 points, but I'd have to mess around with the curve to be sure. That said, though I don't necessarily think it's the case here, I have wondered before whether a little jaggedness in the...
  7. N

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Yeah definitely. We've known about some bass differences before, but I'm waiting for the results of the latest Neumann test to figure those out. As far as I know it is definitely a concept for people who don't plan on using room EQ. I agree, close to the wall is better otherwise. It's what...
  8. N

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Thanks Amir! Looks like a standout speaker. Revel M106 ASR vs Harman Spin comparison, corrected the ER curves from the NFS for the Harman-style computation. Omitted the on-axis for graph intelligibility: Good agreement up to about 4-5kHz, after which Harman shows about 2dB more energy. I think...
  9. N

Afaik, Amir is already working with Neumann on verifying some earlier results with that speaker. I know Amir said he wanted to replicate the anechoic measurements, but I think the reason this speaker is interesting is because it is the only speaker that has been tested here that we know was...
  10. N

yeah, that's a better way of putting it. In the context of the conversation, I would mean identifying negative distortion (as in, distortion that sounds bad or detracts from the musical experience/neutrality).
  11. N

Neumann KH 80 DSP vs Dynaudio LYD 5 vs Genelec 8020D - best objective performance?

I wish every speaker came with something like this, especially small monitors meant for arms-reach use. Bring back the tone controls!
  12. N

The latter, but that's kind of the point. Listeners were largely unable to differentiate their perception of distortion from their overall perception of preference. Measured distortion did have a weak negative correlation with preference, but not enough to be statistically significant. It just...
  13. N

And going back to the paper being discussed in this thread, there's a whole section about how what Listeners described as distortion were mostly just tied to their preferred speakers rather than actually hearing distortion. The correlation between listeners' rated distortion and their preference...
  14. N

Yeah. In this case I'd been looking at Harman's spins since they have the correct ER calculation, In harman's spins it's evident the IL10 has a scoop while the M16 is more of a flat line. Of course, there's always sample variation too... Now that is quite interesting.
  15. N

I've been waiting for one to show up here in NY for local pickup =] It could be a combination of factors. Dynamic compression could be a good candidate too, perhaps transient response. I also already posited earlier that the IL10 is recessed in the upper mids, as was evidenced by the multiple...
Top Bottom