Recent content by napilopez

1. N

Buchardt Audio S400

What do you mean by independently measured? I measured the S400 myself and posted the results in this forum, and you replied to the thread =]. Perhaps you mean anechoic? In any case, I think my measurements are close enough to buchardts that they are useful. On the horizontal plane, the S400...
  2. N

Buchardt Audio S400

Bold impressions! I've heard enough speakers at home at this point to know perceived sound quality is about a whole lot of things and price has little do with it. I think with something like the D&D the price premium comes from one main thing versatility. Not only does it sound good, but you...
  3. N

Buchardt Audio S400

Man, the A500 sounds seriously appealing. I just started testing the D&D 8C - surprise: they sound fantastic - and the thing that impresses me the most about them is how clean the bass is once set up. The idea of a cardioid speaker at a more palatable price is very appealing.
  4. N

Buchardt Audio S400

That's a pretty neat setup! I'm not aware of any studies of the average speaker distance to the front wall, but I would bet most people have their speakers less than 2 feet away, so they'd probably get a fair bit more reinforcement. I tend to prefer having my speakers clos to the front wall...
  5. N

Why don't all speaker manufacturers design for flat on-axis and smooth off-axis?

There's a quote from Peter aczel of the audio critic fame that I think really sums up hi-fi speaker design succinctly: "All, or at least nearly all, of the conflicting claims have some validity. The trouble is that most designers have an obsessive agenda about one particular design...
  6. N

Buchardt Audio S400

+/- 3dB is pretty much always code for -6dB on the low end. That said, I'd describe that accurate in many setups. I could certainly hear into the 30s in my room. How far are your speakers from the wall? Yeah, I agree. While I wish Buchardt quoted the anechoic response in its specs as well...
  7. N

Best voice activated smart speaker

For some relevant measurements, Sausalito measured both the HomePod and the older Sonos Play:One. Note sure how the new Sonos One compares to its predecessor, but it appears to have the same basic design. Not fully comparable as the HomePod is quasi-omnidirectional vs the standard two-way of...
  8. N

Definitely, plus Sonos has a good reputation for longevity and keeping its speakers updated. Keep in mind only the Sonos One and Move have voice control, although other speakers in the family can be controlled by those two.
  9. N

They all do basically the same things, but Siri is in general behind the curve compared to Google and Alexa. I personally prefer Google for being more reliable and overall smartest in its responses and jives really nicely with Android and Google services, but Alexa integrates works with more...
  10. N

Dali Opticon 6 reviewed and measured...

Again, considering how the Opticon 8 measures and the fact the author is recording from just 1m away, that slope seems to just be the effect of pink noise test stimulus. Here's what pink noise looks like when plotted. Just like the Opticon 6 measurements, it's also down about 20dB from 100Hz...
  11. N

KEF LS50 Wireless

I'm not a speaker designer so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but DSP only gets you so far if the dip is a directivity issue with the actual hardware. It clearly appears to be a directivity issue as a midrange dips appear on the on-axis curves for the LS50, LS50W, R3, R5, R7, and R11 but...
  12. N

KEF LS50 Wireless

One other possible explanation is that they simply didn't think it was an audible enough issue to be worth correcting. In general dips are less audible than peaks, although one would think this is wide enough to be an issue. Still, some companies take a less is more approach and would rather...
  13. N

I'm pretty sure those in-room measurements sloping down simply because of the pink noise no? No way the speaker has such a tilt by default. Even the room curve wouldn't slope so much downward, considering it was measured at 1m. I also don't see 'smooth and non-fatiguing' and 'amazing treble...
  14. N

I wouldn't read much into that. If remember correctly, the soundstage measurements sometimes have issues in the bass depending on the speaker being measured, as the NRC's anechoic chamber quite small and only accurate down to about 80Hz without special calibration or a different metric that...
  15. N

Best-measuring wireless active speakers

Built-in dac would be nice, but there are so many of those available, I feel you shouldn't limit yourself on that particular front considering the wealth of solid active options available. Something like a tiny Fiio K3 might even do the job, even if it's not the best performing dac (we don't...
Top Bottom