Recent content by N9R

1. N9R

2000-3000$ Budget for new studio monitors

Either Neumann or Genelec They are very similar in the important specs One thing that may influence your decision - the crossover and speaker management functions in the Neumann are digital, whereas in this model of Genelec they are analog While this gives you extra possibilities in the...
  2. N9R

Is the entire audio industry a fraud?

Pretty much, yes By and large, electronic engineering problems in the Audio domain were solved a very long time ago. Advances in manufacturing over recent decades have reduced the cost of implementation to a near-trivial amount. These days, serious efforts in electronic engineering are not...
  3. N9R

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

8030C has separate amps for each driver, and the (analog) crossover works at line-level, prior to amplification. If you want to drive them using a single stereo amp, you'll have to provide your own passive crossovers and connect directly to the driver terminals
  4. N9R

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

One model stands out over others for me - Linn Kan MK1, auditioned at a high-end dealer, turn of the 90s On recording after recording, they had an uncanny ability to replace the drum kit with an assortment of pots and pans whilst equipping the vocalist with a loudhailer to sing through.
  5. N9R

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

"no analog to digital conversion in our vinyl cutting process" I'm guessing the way this would be argued in court, if it came to that and was presented as evidence, would be that they meant not using a digital delay line in the actual cutting process - which, by the way, became widespread in...
  6. N9R

Time for new equipment?

The thought most likely to be correct, in my opinion, would be - there just wasn't that much difference between the bitrates Reasons: The song chosen could be "friendly" to lower bitrates - audibility of artifacts varies from example to example, and there are always "golden samples" to either...
  7. N9R

Genelec Personalised Listening : something new coming up

Bizarre that this has been released under a subscription model. Where is the ongoing value? After all, the shape of my head isn't going to change any time soon..
  8. N9R

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

I used to get this occurring when there was an excess of DC offset in the incoming digital signal (I use my DX3Pro+s in a recording studio setting, so DC offsets can happen often) I stopped it happening by incorporating DC highpass filters in my equalisation setups
  9. N9R

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

That's the tradeoff between a durable analog carrier that cannot be perfectly copied, and a less durable digital carrier that can be copied and distributed infinitely. Having said that, the balance has now been tipped firmly in favor of digital - there are now optical digital media that are...
  10. N9R

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

In my case, yes, the DAW is running all the time. I have automation tools that make that easy to manage though. A DAW is not required to use plugins, of course; I believe Equalizer APO can host VST plugins itself. My listening space is also a recording studio, so for me it just makes sense...
  11. N9R

If your player supports hosting the plugin formats I mentioned, or your player's output feeds something else that does using the ASIO protocol, then yes, there should be no problem. In my case, I use an RME RayDAT audio interface, which: Has 36/36 channels of audio I/O Has a multi-client ASIO...
  12. N9R

I'm using MFreeformEqualizer for system equalization on speakers and headphones. It's a plugin, VST, VST3, AU and AAX, 32/64 bit, Win/Mac, made by Meldaproduction (currently half price, £21). My Audio hub is an ASIO DAW running on Windows. It's a bit different to typical equalizers, in that...
  13. N9R

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Got a pair of these today - one for speakers, one for headphones! Very nicely built and, of course, sound is exemplary coming through my Genelecs and Sennheiser HD580 Substantially better for phones than the old Behringer Ultramatch I had been stuck using. Plenty of power too.
  14. N9R

Rules of Thumb about Resampling

Musicbee has this built in:
  15. N9R

Buying Genelec questions.

Really glad you're enjoying the sound of these! ..and how you described them is just how I would, particularly the separation of instruments and sources.. Re-acquainting myself with music I've been familiar with for many years has been so much fun! Sleep mode does take a good while to kick...
Top Bottom