Recent content by MRC01

1. MRC01

Magnepans and Amplifier Current

Googling that amp, I find that its continuous rated power into 4 ohms is 315 watts (35.5 V and 8.9 A). That's almost certainly greater than what the LRS can handle, which seems to be the definition of "suffice".
  2. MRC01

Magnepans and Amplifier Current

@DonH56 answered the question. I've owned the Magnepan 3.6/R for over 20 years. Magnepans have a relatively smooth, flat impedance vs. frequency curve. Mine are about 4.25 ohm in the bass and 3.3 in the treble. Their 4 ohm nominal impedance means voltage will be 4 times higher than current. For...
  3. MRC01

Most Useful Diagram of Hearing Loss

If that paper is correct, then it seems like many people old enough to have natural age related hearing loss prefer their audio system to sound like their memory of what live music sounded like when they were young, instead of what live music actually sounds like now.
  4. MRC01

Are room acoustics better on smaller speakers?

Room treatment has a lot to do with bass, but it's not only about the bass. I find most home audio rooms to be too reflective for my taste, and some strategically located absorption and dispersion in the mids makes it sound better. Of course that is in addition to treating bass modes with tube...
  5. MRC01

Spyware In Cars - It's Worse Than You Think

On this site, enter your car's VIN and they'll tell you about its privacy features. https://vehicleprivacyreport.com/ I question its accuracy because when I entered the VIN for my 10 year old Mazda, it flagged "features" that mine does not have, but only the current models have.
  6. MRC01

A millennial's rant on classical music

That makes sense and reminds me of another thing I didn't like about the Klipsch: it didn't reproduce the highest frequencies. This made transients sound smeared or less crisp, and to a lesser extent negatively impacted the timbre of some instruments.
  7. MRC01

Planar magnetics aren't the same thing, but they have some similar characteristics. I find the big Magnepans are one of the few speakers that have that oomph. Drums sound particularly impressive and acoustic instruments come alive with natural lifelike timbre and dynamics. But the room is as...
  8. MRC01

Flute's my main instrument but I occasionally played bari sax in local groups over the years, nothing professional. Ever heard of tubax? As a sax player you may like this:
  9. MRC01

Is Hi-Res Audio better because filter is outside audible range?

There is another benefit to "high res" which is you get a wider transition band, which makes it easier to implement a proper filter. By proper filter I mean from an engineering perspective. Whether that is audible is a different question. CD at 44.1 kHz is not sufficient to implement a proper...
  10. MRC01

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

That jives with my experience. I said the difference was "audible" and "rare", not "obvious".
  11. MRC01

@kemmler3D gave a mic example. I thought you wanted an audio track example, so here you go. In this Google Drive folder you'll find dynamic range demonstration tracks. Both are the exact same recording, the only difference is one is made in 16 bit. Compared to the 24-bit track, you can hear the...
  12. MRC01

Perhaps for you. I prefer 24 bit for perceptual transparency. Some microphones have more than 16 bits of dynamic range and the recording format should not constrain the capabilities of the mic. Cases where the difference is audible are rare, but they do exist.
  13. MRC01

I've read 768-32 is the format that the Gagrakacka Mind Zones use. Regular concert goers judged that the best sound balance was usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles away from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves played their instruments by remote...
  14. MRC01

And one day a software glitch puts your car on the wrong list, and the car disables itself or drives you to the nearest police station. Or worse, kills you by slamming you into an oncoming car or a ditch. The reasons nobody should trust these systems are two-sided: both Murphy and Machiavelli...
  15. MRC01

I wonder about people who participate in SCCA events. Their data stream shows hard acceleration, braking, cornering. If the insurance company gets that data they'll think they are dangerous drivers. While in fact, they are better, safer drivers on the street because they get that out of their...
Top Bottom