Recent content by MattG

1. M

Keeping stereo speakers on their side - Murphy BMR, other thoughts/suggestions?

How is a stand, even a slimline stand, any different than floor standing speakers? Yes, if the entire console and TV are pulled out from the corner, there is room on either side for floor standing speakers (or stand mount speakers). But that is what we're trying to get away from: having the...
  2. M

Agreed. But keep in mind a new piece of furniture to (to replace that black console) is being planned. And we're also looking at a new TV. So, basically, want to completely overhaul that existing arrangement. Maybe that's a better general question: I'm forced into corner placement, and want...
  3. M

Thanks for the diyAudio link. I'd like to think that with the flatpack kit, hints in that thread, and careful assembly, I should be able to get a decent result. Here's a pic of the space. It's also in a corner, which is tricky. The Song Towers used to be on either side of the TV stand, and...
  4. M

I looked at, e.g. the KEF R3 - great review here, similarly good feedback like the BMR. But I don't like any of the finishes. It seems when you get into the higher budget tiers, the finishes tend to get too fancy for our tastes. (Don't mean to knock anyone if that's their thing, we just tend...
  5. M

For many years now, in our living room, we've use a pair of Salk Song Towers (in a 2.0 config, for music and TV). No complaints in terms of sound quality, but we'd like something physically smaller. The TV stand + TV + tower speakers ensemble is dominating the room, and we'd like to cozy up...
  6. M

Hivi 3.1A DIY Speaker With Sehlin Mod Review

I was thinking that the existing passive crossover PCB would removed, and in it's place, the DSP or line-level XO, plus three amplifiers. So the input to the enclosure itself would be a single digital connection (e.g. SPDIF) or a line-level input (RCA or XLR). There would also be a connector...
  7. M

Hivi 3.1A DIY Speaker With Sehlin Mod Review

Thinking out loud here: would this speaker kit perhaps be a good platform to develop a DIY high-value active monitor? My take of this review is that the kit, with the Sehlin/ScottS/Mudjock perfectionist crossover mod is pretty good, and becomes really good with a little EQ. So what if the...
  8. M

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Apologies, slightly off-topic, but I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and there seemed to be a little interest... I now have a working Raspberry Pi + ma12070p-based sound server. The gist is described above, literally just a Raspberry Pi and an ma12070p amp board (and power supply)...
  9. M

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Any chance of a picture of the internal circuitry of this unit? Amir, do you have any way of measuring radiated EMF from audio sources? The questions are related: I'm curious if the amp's output goes through a true LC filter, or simpler (and cheaper!) ferrite bead filter? I've been reading...
  10. M

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

If you search up a bit for my posts in this thread, you'll see where I reported a similar problem. When I used coax, the audio would cut in and out, as though it was a bad connection. I tried different cables, no improvement. This was with an iFi 5v 2.5a PSU. I've used the same coax into a...
  11. M

No. But the way the sound randomly cuts in and out, it reminds me of a cable that is not properly seated. Thinking a loose cable may have be the source of the problem, with my hand I firmly held the cable in place on the DAC, yet the random cut-outs persisted. My hunch - and this is just a...
  12. M

I just received my LA-QXD1. Unfortunately, the coax input is really flaky - when in use, the sound cuts out randomly, but fairly frequently (at least once every five or so seconds, often many cut-outs in a short amount of time). USB input works just fine. Power is from an iFi iPower 5v/2.5a...
  13. M

Ahh, perfect, thank you! (My day job is a programmer, so if I find code tweaking and compiling too scary, it's probably time for a career change!)
  14. M

It looks like the firmware upgrade tool is a Windows program. Is there any way to change the firmware on other platforms? In particular, is there a way to change the firmware under Linux?
  15. M

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

I think I have this solved. My PC runs Linux (Manjaro), and it appears that by default the Pulseaudio Bluetooth stack uses the original SBC (low-complexity subband codec) audio encoding. I do think there is something amiss with the D70 and using this codec, because there was no noticeable hiss...
Top Bottom