Recent content by MarkyM

1. M

Chane A1.5 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

FYI...I just did a quick THD test on one of my Chane A1.5 tweeters and am getting about 0.7% THD at 2kHz, 86dB SPL @1m: This is just a "quick & dirty" measurement with my UMIK-1 microphone that I use for Dirac Live. I have had the A1.5's for about a year and a half and have found them...
  2. M

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Thanks. I have the Headroom Management set to -9 just to be safe and to keep the volume pot on my Magni Heresy in a good spot.
  3. M

I'm still playing with EQ in Roon with these. I have now combined Amir's EQ with Maiky76's EQ (from Post #42) and my own bass "house curve". It is startling how well these take EQ. They are an open book :) The additional fine-tuning has removed some of the slight "boxiness" I was hearing in the...
  4. M

I just got my HE400se today. What a bargain at $129! (Amazon)...and mine came with (only) the "better" soft black cable. I'm using the Neomusica 4ft. cable though that I ordered along with the phones. Nice cable for $16. Thank you for the Roon EQ settings Amir. I did add my own bass "house...
  5. M

Topping E30 DAC Review

I just got my E30 today. It is replacing a Modi 3 in my desktop DAW whose USB input failed (the coax and optical ins still work so I am using the Modi with a CD player now). I was perfectly happy with the Modi but wanted the sample rate display. Plus the Modi 3 was silver and the rest of my gear...
  6. M

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Yep. I have an M1.0t with the Mk2 upgrade. It will do 400 w/ch. It has been driving my main L/R speakers since 2012 and has been fed from my 3400H since 2017. It is lightweight, cool running and has more power headroom than I’ll ever need. With my speakers, the amp’s -20dB LED lights at 90dB...
  7. M

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

I received my iSine 10 today and no cipher cable. I didn’t expect it at that price. But I don’t need it as I am using it with Roon off my iPad which includes a DSP preset for the iSine 10. Once I found the right tips for my ears (which is critical for bass) and figured out the ear clips, I think...
  8. M

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R vs. MOTU M2

Cool, thanks.
  9. M

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R vs. MOTU M2

I'm really liking the Ralf Illenberger too. Thanks! What is the name of the song & album. I can't seem to find it on Tidal.
  10. M

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

No problem. Good point. I suspect this has to with overshoots being generated in the DSP crossovers etc. by the pushed mastering so not being linear, more headroom is needed to keep these overshoots from clipping. I am not an expert on DSP filters but perhaps there is a member here that is...
  11. M

I could still hear the distortion at -1.5, at -2 it was mostly gone but I thought I could still hear it and it was completely gone at -3. So Roon's advice of starting with -3 seems sound.
  12. M

That intro section has a peak level of about -0.7dB: I can hear some distortion in the vocal at times there (in the recording) but I do not hear any popping from the piano notes on my Denon with the Roon headroom management off. Maybe the Denon has a smidge more headroom than the NAD. The...
  13. M

You're welcome. Roon actually converts internally to 64-Bit float when performing it's DSP functions so any resolution loss is inconsequential. I'm not sure it's fair to blame the AVR manufacturers for the recording industry's over-mastering habits. That said, at this point, considering how...
  14. M

I'm using the pre-out/main-in loop of my vintage Marantz 2275 for this on my desktop system. I have a MiniDSP DDRC-24 in there for Dirac. Using the MiniDSP app, I am able to choose the USB input to use the MiniDSP's DAC (only) or the analog in (ADC & DAC) to use the preamp section of the...
  15. M

Hi, Thank you! This really is the perfect test track for the issue. The issue being today's unnecessary over-mastering of pop music. Here are screenshots from my audio editor of the end section of the track which is mastered at a peak level of -0.03dB. Yep, three-hundredths of a dB below...
Top Bottom