Recent content by markk

1. M

So, a retro sealed sub, miniDSP, and a Denon walk into a bar...

So, this thread pulls in a lot of disparate elements, but, bear with me. So, getting back into audio after a long layoff, I decided to pull out a set of Peerless 830500 subs that I had NOS for, like, 15 years...sigh. Not saying you should buy these, but using these turns out to be a great...
  2. M

Minidsp C-DSP 8x12 V2.0 Review

I think "deceptive" is a bit harsh. Often manufacturers are "aspirational" in their specs. And, it's not like they pulled it out of thin air. It's just paste and copy from the akm datasheet which claims 115 dynamic but 105 signal/noise. Which is about right for the digital in side. Granted...
  3. M

8 inputs and 12 outputs, mapped very flexibly. The best snr is via 2 channels digital in, then you maps out to 3-6 low level (RCA) channels per side. If all you want is 2 in and up to 8 out, then the minidsp flex might be better. But in my use case this doesn't work. I want to start with an...
  4. M

@kencreten Not sure what cheaper alternative there is if if you want a very flexible multichannel DSP. $550 seems like a good deal. You can use it as a 2 in 3 or 4 out xover with a sinad of 105. Yes, yes, not 123dB... we'll just set aside that...105dB is still very good. If you accept the hit...
  5. M

Thanks for reviewing it for us. I figured it was a bit of work to review! Note it's only $550. The invoice was for ~750 or so because somewhere in the box is a umik2 mic... I bought it more as an experiment. I have a couple sealed subs that I want to LT, and just thought about a 2x4HD, but...
  6. M

Wireless subwoofers... do you have/use one?

I ended up keeping the YMOO, just because I missed the amazon return window. If I had to keep one, I would have kept the dynasty. I think overall it's a little better. And, as I mentioned, it may be usable for a sub. Because of the LF dropoff, the YMOO can't be used to sent sub info. Technically...
  7. M

A couple other random plots. The first is just a 1k HD plot. This is about a simple signal as you can generate. The result is better. But still, this is a really easy signal. You can see how the unit breaks down under the stress of a more complex signal. The second is a two tone IM signal at...
  8. M

But, then it gets worse... First, a loopback of the 2i2 soundcard to set the limit of resolution and then the multitone results of the dynasty for the left and right channels. Sigh, not at all what I was hoping for. You can argue about small differences, but, yeesh, relatively high IMD, subpar...
  9. M

So, I got around to testing the Dynasty. A couple of caveats. I am slowly setting up a new testing setup and methodology for testing. So, some of the tests are a bit different/nonstandard. I would recommend you take them with a grain of salt. First, let's look at the FR of the Dynasty using...
  10. M

Curious to see what you get from a listening standpoint. My testing of the Dynasty show a mediocre noise floor and high IMD... See my next post. It's better than the YMOO in some aspects, but overall, somewhat disappointing...
  11. M

I've been evaluating these wireless units over the last week. I have this dynasty one on the way today. I've been testing these pairs in a search for a wireless surround option for my family room. I have a pair of these same Dynasty units (v2) on the way and will post my results. I purchased a...
  12. M

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

So hey, are you going to offer to have this tested? I was thinking of picking up this same amp as well. If it tests well, then makes a good amp as you're planning. If it tests really well, I was thinking of picking up a second and pairing it with a miniDSP flex or flex eight for an active three...
  13. M

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

We are using the term "distortion," as if it was one. I spent a number of years long ago doing probably over a thousand distortion measurements on dozens of different driver units. What I can say is that it is not at all a single entity. There are a wide variety of audible and inaudible...
  14. M

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

That's the point. I can buy Hypex or Purifi but can't upgrade the DAC. So I'm stuck debating whether to buy a product with a subpar DAC. Yes, I probably won't hear a difference under most circumstances, but in my mind I know this is mediocre engineering and bean counting. And yes, that will...
  15. M

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

This is probably not correct. the 3x00 series is the cheapest model with full pre out. If you think about long term value, you can spend money on high quality amps, but the processor becomes obsolete more quickly. I think there are a fair number interested in the 3x00 series exactly for that...
Top Bottom