Recent content by MAK1975

1. M

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Test tracks I was using were as follows: Gogo Penquin's new album Everything is Going to Be OK - Tracks - You're Stronger than you Think & Saturnine, Fleetwood Mac Rumors Album - track - Dreams, Lana Del Rey - Album: Norman Fucking Rockwell - Tracks - Doin' Time and Bartender, Michael Kiwanuka...
  2. M

Jot 1 headphone amp with HD600s. Roon server with parametric convolution EQ. Both DACs (SU-8 & Jot internal AK4490 DAC) playing the same tracks simultaneously via Qobuz streams. I personally can't hear any difference.
  3. M

I own the original Jotunheim 1 released in 2016. Looks like from Amir's 2018 test it measured an 84 SINAD. Not great compared to today's SOTA measurements, but audibily would I be able to hear any difference with something like a A70 Pro? That's why I asked the question due to low SINAD...
  4. M

Agreed. Just like with my 2 DACs. I cannot hear any audible difference between the built in AK4490 DAC in my Jotunheim vs. my SMSL SU-8 V2. I have volume matched them and can't tell them apart in blind AB tests. Failed the test everytime! I know the SU-8 measures better than the AK4490, but...
  5. M

Thanks for your help! Yes, another ASR member also confirmed this as well. I didn't know if there would be an audible difference as I don't have any other HE amp to compare it to and there have been so many new HE Amp/technologies (THX, Discrete, T'ang-ku-la:p) over the past 5 years since I...
  6. M

The A70 Pro is a Heaphone Amp/Pre-amp only, so it has no DAC chip. You need to pair it with a separate external DAC like the new D70.
  7. M

Thanks for the graph reference that really puts it in perspective on how "overbuilt" this beast is! I can't think of any headphones that will come close to using the amount of juice the A70 Pro has on tap. Maybe the AKG K1000 ear speakers could take advantage of the volume knob.:D Looks like...
  8. M

Thanks! If that's the case, then I'll just stick with the Jot. It works perfectly fine. Wish it had a preamp switch where I could mute the headphone if I am listening to my speakers, but I just unplug my headphones when using the preamp.
  9. M

The A70 Pro obviously has world class measurements and power to destory ones ears if not used correctly. For people that already have an A90, A90D, A30 Pro, etc. this isn't going to give you anything audible that you don't already enjoy with your current unit. The new display features may add...
  10. M

Topping LA90 Discrete?

Here's a previous discussion with a forum member using the A90 as a preamp. https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/using-topping-a90-pre-out-to-powered-studio-monitors.20039/post-714783 Amir has measured the A90-D and its nearly the same performance as the original A90 so it...
  11. M

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

What I meant by Roon player was the Roon application running on my Windows 10 PC. I am running the actual Roon Core Server on an Intel NUC PC that I built and installed the ROCK OS on. But, when I use Roon its generally from my Windows 10 PC as the remote control for my music library. Sorry for...
  12. M

So I have done some more testing on the USB port of my SU8 V2 and a small audible pop or click happens only when the bit rate changes when I switch tracks. If I go from a 96K track to a 192k it makes the popping noise before the track starts up. If I switch to another song with the same exact...
  13. M

My SU8 V2's USB port has the popping/drop out issues when I switch tracks using Roon player. Others have reported this issue and from what I can find there seems to be no fix as it appears to be a defect with this DAC. It still plays music fine once it gets passed the inital popping/clicking...
Top Bottom