Recent content by Magic Smoke

1. Magic Smoke

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

‘Life is short’ in my comment is about life in general in the broad scheme of things. This is pretty easy stuff. But when words are changed in a reply to say enjoy MY short life, then I do find it very condescending. I choose not to spend time polishing keycaps on a forum, arguing and rebutting...
  2. Magic Smoke

I still like dragging a rock through a ditch. Change my mind. And thanks for the kind welcome. And I'm not here to construct an argument, but tell you what I like. Playing records is one of them. I could live long; Thermodynamics, genetics and all that. :)
  3. Magic Smoke

What a tempest in a teapot. After all this, I still haven't changed my mind. I still like dragging a rock through a ditch. I still like dragging plastic over a crack. (Tape lol) And I also like all the other more modern and convenient digital formats and media. It's what I want, not what you...
  4. Magic Smoke

Another thing about prerecorded tape was the head azimuth.. never seemed dead on, so the store bought tapes typically always were off enough +- to lose some high end. Even the machines my friends had were slightly out of alignment than my machine. Didn't stop me from having fun with the...
  5. Magic Smoke

My turntable sits with my system, so when I get the urge to play a record, I do. I have a classic Pioneer CT-A9X cassette deck that I also play. I also stream lazily. :) I have friends who couldn't sit down in one spot long enough to play an LP. Headphones on from sunrise to sunset, consuming...
  6. Magic Smoke

My story is similar to many.. I have a bunch of records from the days pre CD, and when CD players became affordable I bought one and enjoyed CDs. The turntable sat for years in storage, a Radio Shack Realistic Lab 400. In recent years I had a hankering to play the old records again for old time...
  7. Magic Smoke

This gaudy thing reminds me of a giant Rube Goldberg 400 day torsion pendulum clock. All it needs is the glass dome. Probably has better wow and flutter than the lathe that cut the record tho. :)
  8. Magic Smoke

How many audio forums do you follow?

ASR mostly and Audiokarma, Steve Hoffman. Major lurker I be. This is my first post here. :)
Top Bottom