Recent content by little-endian

1. L

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Well, "double the cost" depending on where you reside, I guess. But no question, the DX3 Pro+ definitely has the better "bang for the buck". What both lack is the implementation of a de-emphasis circuit as the CD standard actually demands it, resulting in boosted treble when playing back such...
  2. L

Why can't you play Hi-Res audio through the optical (S/PDIF) input of an AVR?

Not the actual point, but just bear in mind that what is often loutishly called "CD quality" is actually pretty much "human ears quality". Anything more is technically nice and interesting, but effectively forlorn hope when it comes to audible improvements. That is odd. If 96 kHz / 16 bit...
  3. L

How good is bad? (Raspberry Pi 4B headphone output DAC review)

@Linards Great overview and measurements! However, a final summary would have been nice. As bad as the measurements are by today's digital-to-analog-reconstruction-standards, probably even that will objectively still be beyond what even decent vinyl records provide, those admittedly doing so...
  4. L

Comparison of Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC) and Dirac ART for all known AVRs/Processors

Well, "full" in terms of "what's currently possible / used by sources", I would rather use that for 48 Gbps and not 40 Gbps, as apparently there is still no AVR which supports YCbCr 4:4:4 / RGB @ 12 bit per color channel (for 2160p120 anyway). Same for HDMI splitters according to "Feintech"...
  5. L

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Yes, I'd say it is rather suitable for EQ adjustments when using headphone as room corrections - as far as this is decently possible at all, room acoustic adjustments being preferred anyway - demand more complexity. Yes, and something probably even cheaper: an AV-receiver with Audyssey or...
  6. L

Would I get better sound quality using a dedicated DAC?

I find their technical description misleading. At the end of the day, there will always be a digital to analog conversion having happened, one way or another. Also, I personally dislike the terminus "digital amplifier". Taking "digital" by it's true and original definition, something only...
  7. L

Physical Audio Media

Yes, the rather general "concern" was to point out that at (very) high bitrates, one quickly has not only diminishing returns in terms of quality/size - ratio but also gives away the essential advantage of using a more efficient codec in the first place as most will be completely transparent...
  8. L

Physical Audio Media

Not only that. Even for those being into audio, those several variants bonded together are more or less redundant anyway and 44.1 kHz / 16 bit (or given ideal filtering probably even 32 kHz / 12 Bit) would do it in virtually all listening cases. Don't confuse the container (officially MP4, aka...
  9. L

What's the highest frequency you can hear?

Actually the original question of this thread is incomplete as it begs for the counter question "... at what level?" After all, without proper calibration, still being able to hear a certain frequency unfortunately doesn't mean that there might not already be significant hearing loss when one...
  10. L

I'd call that "just right" with due respect to the dBFS scale back in the days. Against "quietness", there is a brilliant countermeasurement: turning up the gain. I'd call them "retarded ones", flavored with screaming irony where people jerk off to "high res", 24 bit and whatnot while in...
  11. L

The question remains for me what perceptible loss is supposed to ever occur even without such kind of headrooms, considering that our ears' dynamic range goes down by definition as well, based on their steady noise- (or rather "tinnitus"-) floor anyway. Also, even with 16 bit "only", the noise...
  12. L

Given your assumption of computer playback, an entirely comprehensible argument of yours. However, it should not be forgotten that playback from a non-PC-system also has its charme as stuff like a DAT-, CD-player or whatever stand-alone source via S/PDIF besides the haptics, has one very nice...
  13. L

Best DAC that's JUST Optical In to Stereo Analogue Out?

@Blumlein 88 The point you're making is an interesting one as in both directions, the effort/quality to price - ratio becomes questionable. In the voodoo-sector at latest, but actually already in the less suspicious "pro" market, one spends proportionally more money (> 1100 EUR for an RME DAC...
  14. L

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

No rhetorical questions allowed here in such a serious forum. ;) The duo Nyquist/Shannon would argue that on a 48 kHz sample rate, you're rather listening to "24 kHz music" at best (when starting from 0 Hz), energetic or not. On a bit of philosophical thought - whatever you perceive is heavily...
Top Bottom