Recent content by ldarieut

1. L

What is the point of CD rips?

Ripped it once in mp3 in 2005, and I flaced my entire CD collection 2 years ago. It stays on two different disks. The hardest part is actually finding a computer with a decent cd player... I barely use streaming as I don't want to pay for it, I use the free version to listen to new stuff, and...
  2. L

Someone explain this bizarre 3-way

I thought at first it was some sort of crazy diy job where the builder covered a botched baffle on the side with corian. The metal rods will introduce some ringing, so the concrete pipe from side to side are a way to minimize that, and adding some rigidity, that would be my guess.
  3. L

Balanced interconnection and ground

I use these: https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xlr-connectors/xlr-chassis-connectors/a-series?c=audio and more precisely, this one: Female connector -1 = mating connector shell to pin1 and front panel This way, I never had ground loop issue: pin1 connects to the shell and the chassis...
  4. L

How loud do you like your music?

I have moved my genelec 8030C on my desk, and they are now roughly one meter from my head. They are connected to a DAC, which is connected to my computer. I have to crank down to 6% volume on the computer, more than that and it is uncomfortable, I will measure tonight how much SPL it means, but...
  5. L

Magico M9

you are right, it's suspiciously the exact same number and almost same arrangement of boxes too! There has to be a pattern there! Joking aside, I'm quite curious as to what kind of stuff they stack there. I can see 4 monoblocks? There is probably one preamp, one dac? What are all the other...
  6. L

Magico M9

Well, it's 1/24 smoothing for the FR so it is not _that_ bad, but I agree for 750K it should be a lot better. My own DIY speaker (dsp, three way) has a better FR.
  7. L

Magico M9

What are all these 12 appliances for? These speakers are multi-amped with an analog crossover, what is the point?
  8. L

Found a TPA3255 4 channel module on AliExpress

Tu My minidsp shd acts as an analog pre-amp (balanced) to the tpa3255 so it amplifies the hiss quite a lot, but the hiss is still present without the dsp. The new tpa3255 from 3eAudio seems a lot better in that regard, but it's almost double the price of the previous model.
  9. L

I also had a 3Eaudio 3255 but only two channels, and it had the same hiss. I used a 3eAudio SMPS with both. I should also add that there is a minidsp shd in the chain which significantly amplifies the hiss. Could be my setup, but as my final build will be with nc400 (still need to source 2...
  10. L

yes, my 96dB woofer hisses a lot less, so I would guess at 86dB you hear almost nothing.
  11. L

I have one of these and they make a loud hiss (on a 108dB sensibility compression driver...), so loud as they are not useful for a hifi setup. My hypex doesnt exhibit any noise in the same configuration: you get what you pay for.
  12. L

Speakers that are unforgiving of poor-quality recordings - is that a thing?

Distortion will be audible on crappy recordings, like some jazz DOL reissues of classics versus the blue note ones.
  13. L

50' XLR cable recommendation for listening room

Mogami will be fine, I would go for 2534 because I use starquad. For this kind of custom job, you should consider doing it yourself, it’s not as hard as it looks and you get the perfect length.
Top Bottom