Recent content by kimmosto

1. kimmosto

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

"Open source" is for softwares. This is diy loudspeaker.
  2. kimmosto

Mechano23 Open-source DIY Speaker Review

"Open source" is for softwares. This is free diy loudspeaker kit so it should be "free design".
  3. kimmosto

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

Few years ago I offered to buy all Umik-1 mics from Finland and trash them to avoid continuous and frustrating discussion about problems related to USB mics in design work with XO simulator. I also proposed miniDSP to upgrade their mics to have chip with 2-channel IO, signal output and internal...
  4. kimmosto

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

I stopped arguing years ago. People are very good justifying why they have acquired Umik-1 or similar, continue to use it and repeatedly recommend it even to those who have no idea what limitations and difficulties they have to face. Some have had a commercial motive, although they talk about...
  5. kimmosto

Need help replicating this XO in VituixCad

Traditional box shape without rounding and wave guiding is problematic, but of course balancing could be some compromise between flat on-axis and linear or otherwise smooth power response. It will not cure e.g. sound stage problems to different listening distances and toe-ins due to strong...
  6. kimmosto

2.5-way is very okay also as passive IIR. Phase shift at mid-range could look quite strange in vertical plane, but it can be real benefit compared to 2-way MTM or MMT due to smoother power spectrum. Original XO smells like old-fashioned flat on-axis forgetting everything else.
  7. kimmosto

Probably quite close to the same slopes with parallel ladder XO. Final design and component values requires full measurements of actual system and some data processing.
  8. kimmosto

P.S. I would not use that topology for new design or redesign. Simple traditional parallel ladder is much easier to control. Series XO could drive designer grazy.
  9. kimmosto

Not sure about K=0.15 but otherwise this could replicate most of the original features. Creates this kind of TFs with constant flat ZMA of 8 Ohms. Reality is a bit different of course due to complex curvy impedances.
  10. kimmosto

Drivers Frequency Response Database

We could continue by e-mail, but short answer. I understand need for subwoofer and room EQ if: * On-axis response of conventional speakers is flat down to 35 Hz or less i.e. they are primarily designed for near field monitoring in acoustically damped environment and/or have integrated or add-on...
  11. kimmosto

Possibly yes, but I don't need and care about room EQ and subwoofers.
  12. kimmosto

Actual data is case dependent. Different enclosure shapes and dimensions of full space designs produce own response shape so only way to make accurate design with XO simulator without iteration is to measure prototype or final construction and use correct measurement data.
  13. kimmosto

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

These are master documents when designing with VituixCAD or any other simulator with simple 3D geometry system using mechanical/rotation center for each radiator. Quick manual to produce measurement data with ARTA: VituixCAD_Measurement_ARTA.pdf Quick manual to produce measurement data with...
  14. kimmosto

At what frequency does sidemounted bassdrivers become a trouble for sound location ?

That is based on some assumptions about DUT. Not necessarily fact in every case. I capture off-axis with CLIO QC and Outline ET. Typical step is 5 deg, 0-180 deg or 0-360 deg depending on case. No problem to let system run for few minutes and have some coffee :cool: VituixCAD draws linear...
  15. kimmosto

At what frequency does sidemounted bassdrivers become a trouble for sound location ?

Maybe one day, but polarmap is not in top-10 design paremeters and quality measures so why it should be perfect and require some special math other than linear or spline interpolation? It is mostly just entertainment, but of course it has became bigger than life on ASR where self- or...
Top Bottom