Recent content by Kiko1974

1. K

SMSL D400 Pro Balanced DAC Review

Actually It does on my set up. With well recorded Rock music Sound Color 4 kills the punch and kick of drums, either with DSD 64 and HiRez 96/24 and 192/24. I haven't tested it with red book resolution.
  2. K

SMSL D400 Pro Balanced DAC Review

I think Sound Color on this chipset works playing with oversampling and how Delta/Sigma data is modulated. Sound Colors 1 and 2 work with a 128x oversampling, making the AK I think Sound Color on this chipset works playing with oversampling and how Delta/Sigma data is modulated. Sound Colors 1...
  3. K

SMSL D400EX DAC Review

I own an SMSL DO 300EX that uses the same AKM chipset that this DAC, only that only features ONE AK4499EX chip. I have some questions regarding this chipset combination. Sound colors: I don't think this is an equalization feature in the same way Sabre chips do. In the user's manual of the DO...
  4. K

Recommendation of a AK4499EX-Based DAC?

I'm afraid I don't understand this frequency chart. Maybe the first value, "DSDD" means "DSD Direct", that is the non processing DSD that's available on the configuration menu. This IS just a guess. But the rest of the values, no idea.
  5. K

Recommendation of a AK4499EX-Based DAC?

I own an SMSL DO300 EX that uses the AKM AK4191plus one AK4499 EX and I LOVE the sound of It, despite using only ONE AK4499 EX and not two. I have a question regarding this chipset combination: there's a DSD filter on the configuration menu, Wide and Narrow. I guess Wide plays DSD full range...
  6. K

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Believe me, me, my 50 years old hearing and my 8 years of suffering of tinnitus can tell one chip from the other.
  7. K

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I got an SMSL DO 300 EX after getting rid of an SMSL DO 300. I much prefer the sound of the AKM 4499EX based DO 300 EX to the DO 300, bad implementation of DSD playing of the DO 300 aside.
  8. K

AKM new flagship AK4191 + AK4499EX

I own an SMSL DO300 EX after getting rid of the DO300 that has a couple of issues when playing DSD (It applies too much gain to DSD, over +6 dB which is the standard, resulting in some distorsion and boomy bass, and DSD inverted channels vía I2S which is not corrected by inverting I2S channels...
  9. K

AKM new flagship AK4191 + AK4499EX

9 I'm receiving an SMSL DO300 EX that uses the AKM AK4191 + AK4499EX. I'm getting this DAC as I currently own an SMSL DO300 that has a couple of design issues. First is that it applies more than +6 dB of gain when playing DSD, and second, its I2S input reverses channels when playing DSD, and...
  10. K

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

I don't think all PRC products are defective, but Chinese products are known for having poor to nonexistent quality control. I think one of the few Chinese companies that didn't follow this trend was Oppo when they made some of the best multiformat disc players, with great engineering, top notch...
  11. K

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

I fully agree, Chinese quality control are laughable. I think the way they design their DAC's is, choosing a good, sometimes a great IC DAC, couple it with off the shelf processing IC's (for bluetooth connection and its codecs, different audio formats, PCM, DSD, MQA...) and so so (sometimes...
  12. K

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Who knows. I don't think SMSL may do a recall program to change this model to a new one that doesn't have this issue and other glitches/design errors that this DAC has. I don't think either that SMSL does a firmware update that may solve, or not, as not all issues/glitches a device has may be...
  13. K

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Another issue I detected on the SMSL DO3: the I2S input. It reverses channels with DSD, either when playing DSD files or an SACD. Getting into the configuration menu and invert the I2S input doesn't sorted out the problem. It inverts I2S channels with PCM regardless of its resolution, but not...
  14. K

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

I updated my DO300 to the latest firmware to check if it sorted out the issue with the excess of gain when playing DSD files or SACD'S. It doesn't, DSD still sounds louder than it should, and believe me, MoFi doesn't use dinamic range compression on their masterings, their SACD's are not...
  15. K

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

I have a question: on the update intructions it says to connect the SMSL DO3 to the USB port but not the input USB port. The SMSL DO3 only has one USB B port! How do I do the connection to update my DAC?
Top Bottom