Recent content by Kijanki

1. K

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

My impression was that Benchmark uses non-recursive feedback. Name would suggest that feedback is not applied back to the same signal amplifier. I'm sure it is not a simple design and I also wish I could see schematics. Company I worked for never provided them to customers, charging $200/hr...
  2. K

I do not "argue" with anybody, but rather receive unpleasant patronizing comments from so called "experts". In contrast to you I'm not presenting myself as an "better expert" or any expert. I have suspicion that people like you occupy this forum as "resident experts" and cannot tolerate...
  3. K

I'm not sure about under-bias and mess since according to Douglas Self lowest bias gets lowest distortions (and he proves it) while biasing above class B is necessary for stability only. When bias gets higher gm doubling distortion becomes more audible. Judging by specs Sansui AU-D11 is...
  4. K

I've read few books on amplifier design and have to say that they often contradict each other. Some authors believe that global feedback is bad and should be replaced with local feedbacks while Douglas Self likes global feedback. Some authors believe that increasing bias lowers distortions...
  5. K

True, new good amps are mostly free of TIM. It is important how amp's bandwidth was obtained. If amp has adequate bandwidth without feedback, then we have no problem, but when bandwidth is adequate only with feedback applied, then we have TIM due to phase shift (delay) thru the amp. Remedy...
  6. K

If you disagree with technical merit of my post just say so and explain why, instead of silly remarks like that. Frankly, I expected more from "Technical Expert" and "Master Contributor"
  7. K

Ralph, of course I agree. It appears that people mix two different types of distortion IMD and TIM (Transient Intermodulation Distortion). TIM is an effect of phase shift (time delay) thru the amp causing negative feedback to feed back late, causing overshoot with fast changing input signals...
  8. K

I understand that they are different since one type of distortion creates harmonics and the other very audible non-harmonically related frequencies. I am saying that if amp has extremely low THD then it has to have good linearity. With good linearity IMD is also low. With perfectly linear...
  9. K

IMD and THD, being product of non-linearity go in pairs. I don't know how one can have low THD (good linearity) and high IMD (bad linearity)?
  10. K

I'm not sure why class D has to have, as often stated, "large amount of feedback" to be stable. If anything, amplifier can be unstable because of the feedback. Output stage is "unstable" to start with, since output Mosfets switch from open to close. It cannot be more "unstable" than that...
  11. K

I don't understand this example. It shows 10 values per period reconstructing sinewave. I assume that 2Hz frequency of the sinewave is just an example. Class D amps operate at about 500kHz carrier, making it 25 values per period at 20kHz harmonics (that I cannot even hear). So, in real world...
  12. K

AirPlay vs. BT LDAC?

According to Stereophile review of AE it outputs small 80ps jitter on S/Pdif, but very high jitter artifacts on analog output (lack of jitter = better clarity). I've used 1 and 2 generation with optical out and couldn't hear any difference between them. In addition 1st generation AE doesn't...
  13. K

Emotiva on transformers vs SMPS

True, 120Hz ripple can be handled by linear regulators, but not in power amplifiers - power dissipation would be huge. Amplifier itself has only some sensitivity to supply noise, very small at 120Hz (PSRR is worse at high frequencies), otherwise we would hear 120Hz buzz, but nothing is perfect...
  14. K

Emotiva on transformers vs SMPS

High frequency switching noise is easy to filter out, while LPS produces both - hard to remove 120Hz ripple and also switching noise. Benchmark claims that current noise level of their products wouldn't be achievable with LPS. SMPS got bad rap from crude computer applications, but can be...
Top Bottom