Recent content by keks8430

1. K

Built-in Dirac Live not working with upmixing or other modes

There is now a firmware update available via NET, but no information yet about what features or bugs are addressed. https://assets.onkyo-av.com/product-firmware/Firmware_Update_TX-NR7100_TX-RZ50_04_23-2024.pdf?v=1713922940 "Minor bug fixes and stability improvements." Not mentioning the bug in...
  2. K

Built-in Dirac Live not working with upmixing or other modes

As confirmed by Onkyo, the actual firmware contains a bug in the bass management. If there is no subwoofer, the bass redirected to the fronts is not DL corrected. Since the fix so far has not made it into into an official update, I am sharing the link to the bass management fix Onkyo sent me...
  3. K

Upmixing - where are we at? Have people compared upmixers?

Took a while but I probably found the reason for my "boxy sound with the center speaker". In order to accomodate the AVR, I removed the TV furniture's back panel - after Dirac meas.urements After trying for a short period a 4.0 layout, I remeasured again for 5.1 and more focussed, before with 13...
  4. K

Difference in measurements between left and right speakers (newbie)

from https://www.harman.com/documents/AudioScience_0.pdf So, it depends on the signal type and the quality factor of the resonance. You should (almost) never boost narrow gaps, for several reasons.
  5. K

A room correction case

Hi ozzy, I am not sure about this reasoning. With our two ears and the processor between we can distinguish somehow between speaker sound and room acoustics. The single-channel omni-directional mic measurement cannot easily distinguish, it simply sums direct and reflected sounds. Since the...
  6. K

miniDSP Dirac Live causing imaging problems

Just made a pink noise test. I cannot tell if the phantom center is wider with Dirac Live, but it sounds definitively different. With Dirac I get a much more audible sound variation when moving my head laterally. For me this means that L/R comb filtering is stronger with DL. Could make sense...
  7. K

My possibly special use case is to have good sound and dialog across 2ch/DD2ch/DD5.1 from satellite TV without adjusting settings. Found a crucial setting with Center Spread off. With DD surround and Center Spread on, sound could get phasy or hollow. All good and stable with center speaker now.
  8. K

Can you show REW measurements with all corrections applied, for several points? I have been through some rounds and are happy now, maybe your room/speakers are not a lost cause for Dirac either. I do not want to sell Dirac, but think we need a list of gotchas or lessons learnt. Could you show...
  9. K

Nightmare room setup request for advice (audio only)

https://www.harman.com/documents/LoudspeakersandRoomsPt1_0.pdf (Pt1,2,3) has some good ideas, a corner arrangement might be an option for you:
  10. K

Hi Anthony, what makes your room not-so-normal? I cannot see that from the measurements in your video (hell of a work - wow!). Were the first two REW curves those of L and R? If so, this would be a very symmetrical arrangement. For the bass, a slight placement asymmetry can actually help, you...
  11. K

What to do when Dirac won’t center the stereo image?

Same here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-dirac-live-causing-imaging-problems.49723/page-3
  12. K

No proof either, but made the same experience as My guess is that anything asymmetrical, the room or the listening positions messes the equalization up. This might equally explain that the more focussed DL measurements sound "better". Try to keep your measurement points halfway symmetrical...
  13. K

I would like to agree. But one does not exist without the other, that's Toole's "circle of confusion". With mastering, loudspeaker setups and levels aligned, there is a good chance to reproduce initial intent. I should have better restricted my point to stereo music and 2-ch film upmixing. From...
  14. K

Right, but that is about the only virtue of the center speaker. Even then, some prerequisites must be fulfilled to make it work. In films, well-controlled portions of the dialog are sent to the center and to the front speakers. A center-only sound is fundamentally different from a phantom...
Top Bottom