Recent content by Keithdd

1. K

I've owned speakers by.....

Wharfedale AR Videoton Sanyo ARC Kef Spendor Mordaunt short Chartwell Rogers Mirage Klipsche Polk Energy Athena Bose NHT Infiniti Atlantic Technology Samsung (if soundbars included) Time for more...
  2. K

BBC speakers

My Dad bought BC1s in 1973 and I listened to them on and off for over 20 years when he passed away. They stayed at my mother's HOUSE. I gave them away to a friend. During that time I had innumerable speakers and also spent some time reviewing for a magazine in SE Asia. I had my own pair of...
  3. K

I've owned speakers by.....

Wharfedale unknown, AR7, Videoton minimax, sanyo hifi 1, Arc? , Kef 105/4, Spendor prelude, mordaunt short? Rogers LS7, Chartwell ls3/5a, polk?, bose garbage, Athena? mirage? , nht one? , Atlantic technology centre, klipsch sub, ... Nothing new in last 20 years nearly...if hearing wasn't...
  4. K

Do you have Tinnitis? (Ringing sound in your ears)

Mine started just over a week ago and I'm really pissed about it. Also lost a lot of hearing in that ear. Maybe 90%. Just woke up like that. It's ringing around 9khz. Constant. I can still hear up to 9khz in that ear but it's very quiet. Was good for 13khz and better volume than left ear. I have...
  5. K

Klipsch The Fives Powered Bookshelf Speaker Review

In Canada msrp has just leapt to $1450 a pair. From $1099 I think. Have been in sale for $800. Seems a bit excessive.
  6. K

Harbeth speakers

I think ATC, Spendor, Proac, PMC, and others seem committed to UK manufacturing. Must be some others. A fraction of what used to be of course. I remember in the early 70s all B&Ws were made in UK, had beautiful real veneer of course, and each one came with an actual printed frequency response...
  7. K

The New Advent Loudspeaker Review (Vintage Speaker)

My experience at Home Depot was a bit earlier now that I think about it. The wood sat in my basement some months before I used it earlier this year. So maybe it's a newer policy.
  8. K

Weird. My home depot on 130 Ave SE Calgary cut them with a smile. But everyone wearing masks due to Covid.
  9. K

Tannoy Westminster Royal

Whatever their imperfections, nothing will ever beat hearing ELP Lucky Man, for the first time via Tannoy Lancasters as a 15 year old in 1973. In a small room and very loud. My Dad had had KLH 5s and than had Spendor BC1s, so I'd heard good sound. And the Spendors were better with orchestral...
  10. K

Really? Home Depot cut a number of pieces exactly the size I wanted. No grumbles at all. No charge either.
  11. K

Continental removes car speakers entirely, replaces with actuators. What!?

The Honda Ridgeline has used actuators in its truck bed for a few years now. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but fairly low fi. I struggle to see how relatively high mass unstiff panels can do a decent job, but we'll see. Odd that Continental is involved. The biggest improvement to the...
  12. K

Klipsch The Three Review (Powered Speaker)

Each to their own. My store sells both and most people prefer the Threes sound to the Marshall's. But they are different things. As Amir says they have surprising apparent bass and a nice spatial effect which the Marshall's don't. The Marshall's have far better portability which is what bt...
  13. K

ELAC Unifi Reference teasers

Steve and the cheap audio man put their reviews out at the same time and make more or less identical subjective judgements. Even down to Kef LS50 comparisons. Elac obviously happy to give both an advance set, knowing they are generally very positive towards Andrew Jones' designs. Will be...
  14. K

Klipsch The Three Review (Powered Speaker)

I like this product. Part of it is psychological. You don't expect such a small box to play most music types quite acceptably with some real bass and tolerable mid and highs. It goes louder than you'd think, and no doubt due to its "loudness curve" sounds decent at low levels. Compared to the...
  15. K

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

Temperature is an undeniable factor, just a question of how much difference. I recall one true - 35 day here in Alberta and the car had been outside all day. Not only was the sound from the speakers appalling (till they warmed and the rear of the car warmed up) but the foam in the seats had...
Top Bottom