Recent content by Keith_W

1. Keith_W

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

So what is the difference between ART and a VBA?
  2. Keith_W

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

Umm. I have a lot of respect for you, such that I think that I probably misunderstood you. A 20Hz signal = 20 cycles per second = each cycle 1/20 second = 50ms. Not in the hundreds of milliseconds range. Could I ask you to clarify please?
  3. Keith_W

Stereo Crosstalk Elimination (reduction) Par Excellence!

BACCH, HAF X-Talk Shaper, and other types of crosstalk cancellation are based on RACE - Recursive Ambiosonic Crosstalk Eliminator. The key word here is recursive. This is why they are all VST-based. The DSP unit on the MiniDSP is not recursive, not to mention it is extremely limited in CPU...
  4. Keith_W

Wild and wacky gear from the PRC

The narrators are speaking Cantonese, not Mandarin :) But the guy in the suit is speaking Mandarin, in a strong Beijing accent. "These look like Avantgardes" "Let's go see the big ones" "They are finished beautifully" etc. Nothing mind blowing. Unfortunately my Mandarin isn't as good as...
  5. Keith_W

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Good luck @BDWoody. This is a timely reminder for everyone on ASR to watch our lifestyle. Audio is a sedentary hobby. We can move ourselves to lower risk groups by watching our diet and weight, doing daily exercise, and making sure our health problems are attended to and monitored.
  6. Keith_W

Speaker "Speed"

In all honesty and humility, I have to say I am in the same boat as you. My experience with "speaker design" is limited to designing a pair of subwoofers for myself and reading (well, skimming) Vance Dickason's book. The Qms (mechanical damping) varies from driver to driver, and from enclosure...
  7. Keith_W

Speaker "Speed"

Are you sure about that? The Qts is the combination of Qms (mechanical damping) + Qes (electrical damping). The Qms or mechanical damping is influenced by the surround and the spider, but also by the air spring, i.e. the volume of the enclosure. If you have your subwoofer amps turned off and you...
  8. Keith_W

MiniDSP Flex HTx

Before you blame your cable, make sure that the USB connector on your MiniDSP or PC is not faulty. Use another cable that is known to work (you can verify it by using it to transfer data to a portable HDD, phone, etc). Connect that to your MiniDSP. Try different USB ports on your PC. If...
  9. Keith_W

uBACCH now available for Windows

I use it in JRiver's pipeline. I sometimes use JDM in WDM mode, sometimes not. I don't know how to measure the latency of uBACCH so I can't give you an exact number, sorry. Why does it need to be under 10ms? Are you concerned about lip sync?
  10. Keith_W

uBACCH now available for Windows

There is a tiny amount of latency, maybe 1/10 of a second or less. It is barely detectable. I use the PC version, I doubt if the Mac version is any different in terms of performance.
  11. Keith_W

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Lovely speaker there @gnarly! Just two comments: 1. Do you think the drivers should be flush mounted? I realize it's a lot of extra work. 2. CBT's are supposed to be half of an arc, and use the floor as an "acoustic mirror" to create the other half. I wonder what the effect of elevating a...
  12. Keith_W

Which order to apply room correction tools?

Hi @andyc56 I have been trying to get in touch with you. Would you be able to send me a PM? I can't PM you, it seems you have it disabled.
  13. Keith_W

How to incorporate DSP in this system.

I drew up a quick diagram for you. The MiniDSP needs to have an ADC and an optical input, as well as at least 3 analog outputs. You will use the MiniDSP for all processing as well as volume control. Once it is configured this way, the volume control on our Denon amp should be left untouched...
  14. Keith_W

A Call For Humor!

I am probably one of very very few ASR members to know what burning human flesh smells like. When I was a medical student, surgeons were using diathermy knives. This works by arcing electricity from a small point thus cutting flesh whilst sealing it at the same time so there is less bleeding...
  15. Keith_W

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

"Yes" it's one of my stupid ideas? :D I am assuming you meant it has some merit. I can see from the picture @Bjorn posted earlier that it looks pretty wide, not to mention a curve like that would be pretty difficult to make and way beyond my DIY ability. For this reason I am thinking of a linear...
Top Bottom