Recent content by Justin Ayers

1. Justin Ayers

Recommendation request thread

Country: US Budget: <$600 Form factor: not IEM (my left ear doesn't seem to be able to hold earplugs nor the IEMs I've tried well at all) Use case: mainly classical digital recordings with lossless compression Source information: will adapt as necessary to the headphones; currently have...
  2. Justin Ayers

Musicians are better at decision-making and problem-solving, study shows.

Horowitz was treated with primitive tricyclic antidepressants. I was given a muscle relaxant that is closely related to those and it was the worst prescription drug experience of my life. How he even managed to perform while using those is beyond me. I am wary of the claim that he was always...
  3. Justin Ayers

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

I don't know if testing them on their side would work but one I'd like to see is the Magnepan 20.7i. It doesn't matter to me who tests it so long as the methodology is sound. The Quad ESL-57, which someone also mentioned, is another curiosity point. The trouble with those, however, is that they...
  4. Justin Ayers

PS Audio P12 Review Part 2: Power Testing

Has anyone done a checksum or anything else to compare the firmware 'update' with the older one to see if the file is the same or actually different? It's a clever trick to release a firmware 'update' as a shield against a lawsuit ('Oh, well... it didn't really do anything for those tests...
  5. Justin Ayers

Rockville RPA16 Review (Pro Amplifier)

Headless panther because it lies about the 10,000 watts. I don't really see any grey area, given that fact. Any product that is based on lies, especially huge lies, deserves absolute scorn.
  6. Justin Ayers

PS Audio P12 Review Part 2: Power Testing

My emphasis added. This testing is a huge service to ordinary (a nice way of saying shallow pockets) shoppers who care about audio quality. I read the whole thread and this bolded bit is the crux of it all. The testing demonstrates that an 'essential' part of one's audio system does not have...
  7. Justin Ayers

What cables do you use in your systems?

That's not the reason I noticed such a big increase in level because I went back to the thinner cable and it still gave me the original issues (reduced level, unsteady connection, perceived degraded frequency range). Also, if just doing that once would have made that much of a difference I would...
  8. Justin Ayers

Predictable and measurable if you have the knowledge pertaining to that. For others, they might say they "use copper" when asked what kind of speaker cable they use and others would nod and say that that's all one needs. In my case, I found significant difference between two cables that just...
  9. Justin Ayers

But it is a demonstration that cables can/do matter. That's what prompted me to post in this topic, since many want to claim that cables don't matter and that any claim that they do is rooted in psychological error. I was surprised to notice a dramatic difference in both output and connection...
  10. Justin Ayers

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

I am very grateful for this investigation, amirm. However, it is overstatement to use one speaker (particularly one speaker type) to make a decision about the entirety of the claim. Even if it seems to be a remote possibility that other speaker types (such as electrostats, ribbons, and planar...
  11. Justin Ayers

Yes, I considered that, as I posted back on the 26th of November: I still find it interesting that the oxidation problem apparently can be significantly overcome by switching cables.
  12. Justin Ayers

Well, are copper oxides conductive or insulating? We know that copper metal is highly thermally conductive and highly electrically conductive. It seems very reasonable to assume the oxides are worse in both regards. Absolutely!
  13. Justin Ayers

Dubious about SPL used by objective testers

No, they wouldn't. 1) All the speakers would be tested with the louder test. Speakers that "can't play louder" would be exposed by that test. 2) All the speakers would be tested with the lower SPL test as well. Speakers that distort less but also can "play louder" would be exposed by the two...
  14. Justin Ayers

Considering how dramatic the difference was in level (including it being rather difficult to get any from the thinner cable, depending on how it was jiggled) it seems hard to image I wouldn't be able to. It's pretty difficult to make the case, for instance, that no sound is similar to getting...
  15. Justin Ayers

How easy is it to Damage a speaker during Distortion Testing?

It's not psychological. It's a physical change in a device (sensor). In this case it would be the hair follicles in the cochlea or something. A psychological example would be a speaker sounding better to you because you have been listening to it long enough to have become accustomed to its...
Top Bottom