Recent content by johnwong

1. J

Ideas for more meaningful speaker measurements

Perhaps it's not all about graphs but also needs to incorporate ratings against reference, which is how a lot of testing is performed: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/elac-debut-2-0-b6-2-speaker-review.14272/post-1041570
  2. J

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speaker Review

Seems like the quantitative testing is mainly for tone, dispersion and distortion. However, there isn't a test for how close to real the reproduction is. Like how real does it reproduce the pluck of a string, a tap of a cymbal, or a vocal? In the rest of the testing world there are usually...
  3. J

I did some A/B testing of these Debuts with a pair of Sony SS-CS5, mostly on brief sections of live concerts so what I heard was fresh in my memory. The description that kept coming up with the Debuts in comparison to the Sonys is that the Debuts sounded "congested". Where live vocals, stringed...
  4. J

Topping MX5, A new device?

I have to squeeze the lower part of my remote for it to work. I've tried putting a washer or a coin under the battery cover to try to achieve the same effect but still have to squeeze it. Hence my desire for them to put a bit more effort into their remotes.
  5. J

I just got these speakers. The bass is a bit boomy but the overall sound is well balanced. Andrew Jones used what appears to be an ordinary woofer and a soft dome tweeter. No copper, beryllium, titanium, horns, or any gimmicks but yet achieved something good on a extremely tight budget for a...
  6. J

Topping MX5, A new device?

If only they could put some effort into the remote control. It appears to be similar to the one for the MX3 and that remote is a piece of junk. I like my MX3 and would probably love the MX5, but the remote ... ick!
  7. J

Klipsch RP-600M Speaker Review

This situation reminds me of Fuji Film during the 70s. Kodak's research relied on asking photographers what they wanted and the answer was accuracy. However, Fuji showed photographers different versions of photos and asked photographers to choose what they liked. What they liked wasn't accuracy...
Top Bottom