Recent content by Johnplayerson

1. J

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Adapter Review

Jensen transformers is more or less the gold standard when it comes to conversion by transformer. Aphex for transformer less conversion.
  2. J

Can you identify this reel-to-reel deck?

NOS SM900 sticky shed?. I have lots of it , no such thing. Even Lpr 35 in the 7 inch reel, that came in the plastic hard case way back is PERFECT. Anything BASF EMTEC is GOLD, BASF bought AGFA, and used there formulation, Any tape can be bad if stored in poor conditions. Maxell tape has yet to...
  3. J

Which amp to pair with Focal Aria 906 speakers? (I also have a DAC)

May as well change the name to Hypex ncore, go somewhere else for other recommendations.
  4. J

Emotiva CMX2 AC Line Filter With DC Offset Eliminator Review and Measurements

So the reality is , there is a lot of people that incorrectly think small amounts of DC offset are the cause of hum in their equipment. when the reality is, It is simply something else.
  5. J

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

These days Audio is tested by sending out products to guinea pigs. When it is found to be defective, the company is praised for correcting it. Lets hope so. Use to be consumers demanded quality products off the hop.... Now they celebrate receiving defective product, and having it repaired.
  6. J

Can you identify this reel-to-reel deck?

Good equipment, is not all about what is easy People that have enjoyed , and still enjoy reel to reel. Have some very valuable machines and A lot more retro look. If you watched Citadel, you will see many movies in the spy theme and others, still employ these machines, as they make great...
  7. J

Gryphon Apex Stereo power amplifier Measurements (Stereophile)

This amplifier has excellent channel separation. The SN everyone is complaining about is at 1 watt reference points. Seems the adcom gfa 585 will give you the same SN. The adcom gfa 585 se, says 85 db sn at 1 watt. 111 at full power. Thd .009 tested by whathifi.
  8. J

Buckeye NC502MP 8-Ch Amplifier Teardown

Now that is a power amplifier. Anything else is just another low level device :)
  9. J

Any amp repair guys on asr that every one trusts?

I seen the caps, The only new ones are the brown ones. This in itself should not effect or change performance as they are the same values, the same brand name, but upgraded. All the other caps are original, with the double sided solder joints. No idea if the main caps are original but the code...
  10. J

Notice the large caps. The code date is 41st week 16 year , or late 2016. There should be no need to change 7 year old power supply caps.
  11. J

Seriously , with todays shipping costs one is looking at 250 just for shipping both ways. A total recap for 250 I also see very unlikely. Many hours just to assemble and disassemble. You must have had some magic fairy dust on your side.
  12. J

The bigger black c aps shown in the video have the UCC nippen chemi con logo. The brown caps used are a replacement, and actually an upgrade over the original. Personally I would use the UCC KYB, or UCC KZN, and replace all the caps on the boards, DIY> IT actually it not that hard to learn. The...
  13. J

Douk VU3 Review (VU Meters)

Logitek Ward Beck Dorrough Coleman audio. along with a quite a few others make VU meters in both the standard VU style as well as digital bar graph. One person sells a rack vu on ebay that is made with RDL stick ons for input / output. As the stickons sell fairly cheap used, One can make...
  14. J

Ashly NE8250 Review (Pro 8-channel Amp)

Older was always the better world vs the new SMPS and class d designed stuff. Ashly MFA 8000 and of course the Ashly CX 1200 etc. Solid professional amplifiers, with good sound. I just picked up the NE 1600, cheap. I am going to resell it, but I just may give her a quick go on sub duty. Same...
  15. J

Toroidal vs SMPS for Class D Modules

Maybe you can explain their specifications. Everyone already knows of all the Su'Scon caps in the hypex. If they start using 10000hr, as Kramer does in all its SMPS supplies, it certainly would do a lot better. The more sealed and insulated the caps are... the more they will hold their spec. the...
Top Bottom