Recent content by joeren

1. joeren

Measurement Microphones & Calibration Files

I’m on the left side of the learning curve with Room EQ Wizard (REW). To save money I ordered the less expensive Dayton UMM-6, to start with and discovered that they only provide a calibration file for 0º. (confirmed by an email inquiry) The UMM-6 file also includes a phase measurement where...
  2. joeren

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Over the decades I’ve participated in a great many listen tests, both home and in audio stores. There used to be many more audio shops back in the day. I always seemed to be the spoiler when some of the these “comparison demonstrations“ didn’t impress me. I couldn’t see the kings new clothes...
  3. joeren

Class D must read papers and publications

https://epc-co.com/epc/cn/gan技术杂谈/post/13752/gallium-nitride-brings-sound-quality-and-efficiency-to-class-d-audio
  4. joeren

Interesting that the only graph displayed, on my ipad, is figure 6. None of the others are shown. I’ll try to load it on my laptop.
  5. joeren

Marantz NR1510 AVR Review

I think it’s just laziness on the part of their quality control. It almost looks like they don’t have the ability to measure their equipment. Even a refurbished unit should meet the specifications Marantz published.
  6. joeren

EPC is the front runner for GaN. There are many great videos on their website. My colleagues and I worked on some Government projects at GE Global Research but most were DOH projects with x-ray technologies.
  7. joeren

Gallium Nitride (GaN) properties are quite different from silicon. Early on in the technology, devices made with GaN were depletion mode devices (on at zero gate voltage and needed a negative voltage to turn the device off). Enhancement (off at zero gate voltage) mode devices are now available...
  8. joeren

PS Audio PowerPlant 3 Review

Flattering a sine wave will have some immediate effects for sure. Lower PP voltage = lower power supply rail voltage and perhaps issues with equipment power transformers, reducing their efficiency and creating more heat. Any “flat part of a wave is essentially DC. Transformers don’t care much...
  9. joeren

The best of class D is already performing as well class A amplifiers and will continue to improve with new designs using Gallium Nitride (GaN) power devices. GaN is capable of MHz switching frequencies and rise/fall times in the nanosecond, allowing 10s of nanosecond dead times. Technology and...
  10. joeren

Amplifier Power Supply

No amplifier acts like a variable resistor and class D amplifier does not look like a variable resistor. It applies the full rail voltage to the output, with PWM regulation. The only resistance is the the semiconductor switch’s on resistance, very low. It appears more as a current source to the...
  11. joeren

Your Favorite Power Amplifier that you have ever owned or currently own and what makes it your favorite

Legacy PowerBloc2. Silent, clean and enormous amount of power and control.
  12. joeren

Buying my 1st pro audio interconnect cable and soldering myself

That’s not a good argument. We’re not talking about transmission lines or characteristic impedance. We’re talking audio frequencies.
  13. joeren

I completely understand the use of cables and their differences. I’m a retired High Frequency Power Electronics Technician. For audio frequency use, the dominant parameters are those terms that I mentioned. Unless defective, there is no audible difference in meter length cables,
  14. joeren

You don’t need the strand count if you have the impedance, capacitance and inductance. This is all you need to know for ”any” cable.
  15. joeren

You should be able to able to get an idea of the transfer function, of the cable, from data sheet on the Canare website. That cable doesn’t look like it should have any issues passing audio frequency signals. I can’t imagine how you can hear the drastic differences, you state, using a few meters...
Top Bottom