Recent content by jimk1963

1. jimk1963

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Thanks MA, this is good to read. I assume/hope the custom control port will be toggled by the external 12V trigger on the Buckeye side of the design.
  2. jimk1963

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

A few follow-up questions: Will the new Micro Audio 2kW SMPS also be used with the Purifi 3-channel design? Re: the change you’re making for improved standby and idle, are those improvements related to this new SMPS? The SMPS1200A400 has an SMPS standby pin on J5, appears it isn’t in use. If...
  3. jimk1963

KEF Ci3160RL-THX Horizontal Placement

Don’t recall posting about my layout previously, but could be. I wander back and forth between here and AVS. My built-in is 25” deep instead of standard 24”, so it can fit my Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs. The subs sit directly on the floor, with the sub faces placed close to the cabinet door speaker...
  4. jimk1963

Worked out well. Bottom of CC is 4” above the credenza, placing the center firing points about 8.5-9” above the credenza surface. Both Dirac and Audyssey EQ’s reported no significant issues with the CC placement, easily EQ’ing the transfer function. My only caution is that these speakers are...
  5. jimk1963

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

Returned the Monoliths, will search for a more efficient solution. Posted this on AVS: Re: NC502MP Power Consumption, wondering how it will compare to the NCx series: NC502MP Datasheet: 3.3 Main SMPS: Idle Losses = 17W (4 of these per 8-channel amp) 3.4 Ncore Amplifier Specifications: Idle...
  6. jimk1963

Replaced my Cinema 40, it exhibited a similar issue as the original. With this unit, the audio begins dropping out for only a second or two, does that for maybe 30 seconds, then audio drops out completely. Performed a factory reset after saving the config. Reloaded the config and audio hasn't...
  7. jimk1963

Anyone having issues with channel drop-out using the Monolith M8250X (or M8125X)? Running a Cinema 40 + 8250X. About 10-30 minutes into programming, one or more channels will stop entirely. Sometimes only the CC, sometimes 5 or 6 channels. The 8250X runs very hot, my first suspicion was a...
  8. jimk1963

(known) Problems with Marantz Cinema Series

Issue is not the amp. I've swapped good-working channels with the CC and the issue follows the CC. Also, regarding issues with this amp, you may be referring to the link below. This issue was resolved some months back, and isn't a dropout issue but rather a low level hum/buzz issue. Not having...
  9. jimk1963

(known) Problems with Marantz Cinema Series

Cinema 40 pre-outs (L/C/R/SL/SR/FHL/FHR) are connected to Monoprice Monolith M8250X 8-channel amp. Running AppleTV 4K and Spectrum Cable DVR. With either media box, the center channel audio just suddenly disappears in the middle of watching any content containing center channel material. The...
  10. jimk1963

Thanks for confirming. There are 4 NC252MP modules in the 8125X, so I guess that means each module idles at 0.22A, or about 24W if I assume 110VAC. The NC252MP data sheet specifies 8.5W "Idle Losses" for the SMPS and 3.5W/channel (7W total) for the amps, 15.5W total. So there is a bit of...
  11. jimk1963

I'd also add that 100W Idle is awful behavior for a modern day amp. It's been asked before by others, really wish Amir would add PAE, IDLE and STANDBY power consumption to his analyses. It seems to be one of the last "who cares" specs for the audio purists, but it directly relates to thermals...
  12. jimk1963

Double checking - did you mean 0.88 Watts? (and 1.35 Watts?) If you're measuring from the wall, 0.88 Amps x 110VAC = nearly 100 Watts consumption without any audio input. Please confirm. At 100W idle, I would think the amp feels pretty warm all the time.
  13. jimk1963

Decided on below the TV, center channel speaker cutout is 4" above the credenza, so the speaker center point will be ~8 inches above that surface. Hopefully enough to mitigate some of the boundary effect boominess. Tomorrow is primer/paint, Friday the 5160's and 3160 and TV go up on the wall...
  14. jimk1963

Thanks for the input. We‘ve lived with the over-tv CCH placement for 7 years, not as bad as we feared but yes, not ideal. The only other option is below the TV, which will be exactly the same distance from the LR speakers as above the TV. Instead of over a little hill, I guess it’s through a...
  15. jimk1963

Rebuilding family room wall to place KEF Ci3160 horizontally under or over an 82" Samsung TV (which is 41" tall). Looking for guidance in placing the new speaker - above the TV or below the TV. Room particulars: 9 foot ceiling; we sit 14 feet from the TV wall, which is 13 feet wide. A 13 foot...
Top Bottom