Recent content by JeffJ

1. J

Nan-7 Planar Magnetic Headphone Review

I tried a demo unit and mailed to the next guy in line afterwards. EF400 (as well as the new EF500) definitely sounds more organic than L30ii, but the soundstage, placement of instrument and vocals are a bit strange to my ears. Theoretically tube should pair well with nan7, adding a bit of...
  2. J

Nan-7 Planar Magnetic Headphone Review

I've tried nan7 with L30ii. L30ii certainly can drive nan7 to ear bleeding level, but the sound is very dry and sterile. Maybe try nan7 with something less "clinical".
  3. J

Ultimate closed back (portable-ish) when using eq

I'm on a similar journey, looking for the closed back with the best timbre/tonality, fine w/ EQ, for office usage. My progress so far: Watch list: Atrium closed Australis Aeon X closed Aeon Noire Tried and considering purchase: Verite closed Tried but don't like: Stealth: strange tonality...
  4. J

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

Thanks a lot! I did some research on Topping L30II and found it to be exactly what I need! Much more powerful than smsl sh8s, measures better, and similar in price. Just placed order.
  5. J

Review and Measurements of xDuoo TA-10 Tube DAC & HP Amp

Noise shows up with nothing connect at the input. And it only occurs with iems. Tried a few headphones, no issue, dead silent.
  6. J

Thanks for the advice! I demo'd one today, and there is constant hissing noise when plugged in iem, even when not playing any music. TA-10R has a high gain setting and lacks a gain switch, from my understanding is the cause of the noise floor.
  7. J

Is there any way to eliminate the background noise, when plugging in sensitive iems? Change tubes or use a impedance adapter? I'm aware this is not designed for iems, but it would be nice to have one device handling everything.
  8. J

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

Thanks. I'm a little disappointed as well that the sh8s measures only 1.3w compared to 3w smsl claims.
  9. J

A little off-topic: If I can get a topping dx3 pro+ for a similar price of smsl sh8s, should I go with topping as a AIO, or get the smsl to pair with my meizu hifi pro?
  10. J

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

How does this compare with topping dx3 pro+ (amp wise)? From measurement: power: dx3pro+ 1.5w sh8s 1.3w signal to noise ratio: dx3pro+ 88 sh8s 95 sinad: dx3pro+ 117 sh8s 121 Which metrics are more important?
  11. J

Thanks! Since it doesn’t have a “Dac only” mode, I assume signal will be amplified twice (by internal AND external amp). Does that affect the overall (audible) sound quality, sinad, etc?
  12. J

Can I use the meizu hifi pro as a dac, with a external amp? I have a pair of HD650 and DCA Ether CX, both should sound better with higher power amp I believe. I mainly listen to apple music on a M1 macbook air. I have 3 dongles at hand: a e1da 9038s gen3 (340mW at 32Ω), meizu hifi pro, and...
  13. J

Apple Music LosslessSwitcher app for Mac

Can I close the console, or have to leave it running the whole time for the app to work? Thanks.
Top Bottom