Recent content by IAmAlwaysSerious

1. I

ANC headphones are becoming worse or are at least stagnating since 8 years (proof(?) inside)

I just took a look at the Rtings info for a handful of these, and it's pretty clear that - at least for the Sony WF-1000XM series, they've improved substantially with every release. And that more or less matches my anecdotal evidence, having owned the WF-1000 XM3, XM4 and XM5. According to the...
  2. I

Schiit Modius E DAC Review

Err, are you sure you're looking at the right piece of equipment? Mine seems to work fine when scrubbing around videos (including youtube), and I don't even think there are any relays in the Modius. I suspect it might be whatever headphone amp they're using, or something else entirely. I use a...
  3. I

Status Audio CB-1 Headphone Review

I suppose I'm just worried that it might not be audible, and then it might not be worth EQ'ing. If it is audible, then we should definitely EQ that part.
  4. I

Status Audio CB-1 Headphone Review

Do you actually hear that peak around 5.7khz if you run a sweep with these headphones on your ears?
  5. I

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

It depends on quite a lot, actually. If that's 71dB dominated by noise, probably very few stages (one or two stages -depending on the exact component mix- with sensitive speakers). For comparison, I can hear the noise floor of my THX Onyx with very sensitive IEMs in a dead quiet room. If that...
  6. I

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

I expect I could hear the noise floor on this thing with any speakers I own, though I spend most of my speaker listening time a meter away from the drivers. I wouldn't hold it against this amp though, personally. I rarely need more than ten watts and maybe 100 watts per channel at the absolute...
  7. I

New headphones

Good to know. I was basing myself on the fact that their published graphs are fairly similar, except for a difference in the bass. Admittedly, that would make a noticeable difference (though maybe the filters help get the sound where they want it). I just wish the Edition XS were more...
  8. I

New headphones

Speaking purely on sound quality, I agree with you. Its just that they're the least comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Might I suggest a pair of DCA Drop Open X? They're quite comfortable and sound good. Well, my Closed X sound nice, i assume the open X are similar. The filters that come...
  9. I

Pro-ject Phono Box MM Review

Not to derail this thread too much, but that measurement on the laptop there... is that a measurement of your listening set-up? Back on topic-ish), Vinyl is cheaper than tape though, and you can always use it as a Frisbee if you don't like it. Of course, plenty of vinyl hardware is...
  10. I

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

Sorry, those were just super quick tests with a MiniDSP EARS and the default bass IMD tone (41Hz and 89Hz 1:1 at roughly 100dB, not a sweep). I couldn't decide on a single frequency to define bass, so i picked multiple. :)] THD+N obviously means nothing on those because the noise is irrelevant...
  11. I

Perhaps different DCA headphones come with different sets, though that would be odd. The Closed X came with two sets of white felt, one set of black felt and one set of black foam, like the set on the DCA shop.
  12. I

Nice graphs, those are. Is there any chance you could provide some for the DCA closed X? You know, i wasn't sure i'd call the bass on the 560S "the best", so i decided to mess around a little in REW. Here's IMD in the bass with the HD560S, somewhere around 100dB. If i had to guess, i'd say...
  13. I

Are they any harder to drive than the DCA closed X? I usually use those with a THX 789, so i obviously don't want for power. But sometimes, i power them with a Schiit Valhalla 2. From memory, that thing fails to put out more than a handful of milliwatts. It works fine, though i don't crank the...
  14. I

Right, but that costs more than my DAC, 2 different headphone amps and one of my decent pairs of headphones combined. Good audio doesn't require tons of money. I can't use the RME at work, either, and i sometimes spend ten hours listening to music at work in one day. I use all sorts of audio...
  15. I

That's a bit of a shame, i really like them on my Closed X. I would have though that it would increase appeal to a wider audience rather than reduce it. That's not fair to say. Most people, i would think, don't use EQ at all. I like the filters on my DCA Closed X because i use them with...
Top Bottom