Recent content by HooStat

1. HooStat

Sigberg Audio Manta Cardioid active speakers: Full measurements (Spinorama)

It would be interesting to hear your comparisons of finalizing the designs of the Manta vs the SBS.1. What effects did the cardioid behavior have on how well you were able to get the sound and the measurements to be where you wanted? In theory, I would think that the cardioid speaker would be...
  2. HooStat

Minidsp C-DSP 8x12 V2.0 Review

Would you expect the high-level analog inputs to be any different from the low level in terms of SNR? Just curious since I have this unit in my car and I connected the high-level (speaker-level) signal to the unit (it was my only signal source).
  3. HooStat

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

Are you using a sub or two? That should enable your current speakers to play more loudly and perhaps give you more impact. And it will help new speakers do the same.
  4. HooStat

Frankly, it's hell to choose an AVR

I completely agree. I am having a hard time justifying separates. Today's receivers with DSP/Dirac provide state-of-the-art sound in the simplest package possible. If you have "normal" speakers in a "normal" room, particularly if you use a sub, they all provide plenty of power. Obviously...
  5. HooStat

Advice between Kef R3 Meta or Buchardt S400 MKII ?

They seem more or less equivalent to you. Therefore, I would get the KEF. The penalty for being wrong is much smaller if you start with the KEF. If you are unhappy, it will be much easier to sell them than the Buchardt.
  6. HooStat

Subwoofer Comparison

Did you ever add the Harbottle sub I mentioned a few weeks ago (https://www.harbottleaudio.com/)? I don't see it on the spreadsheet. There are 2 models -- C18 and C24. They provide specs for the "level 1" version ("L1") of each and the "level 2" version of the C24. See below. C24 L1 (top)...
  7. HooStat

Why are AVRs and AVPs so expensive?

It would be nice to have fewer devices. But in the end, there is not much difference between your vision and an preamp/processor connected via HDMI. And the pre/pro is more upgradeable.
  8. HooStat

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

I think everyone on this board would like that. But does anybody really need it? It isn't audibly different from the current product. It would just be an engineering accomplishment that most users wouldn't care about or appreciate. I can't imagine why they would spend the money on it for the...
  9. HooStat

Review/recommendation good cheap active 3-way

Kali IN-5 and IN-8 v2 are 3-way (concentric tweeter and midrange plus woofer) and are in the $600-$800 range per pair.
  10. HooStat

Arendal 1961 Center/Monitor Speaker Review

Also, smaller drivers start to beam at a higher frequency so the dispersion in the 1961 (using smaller drivers) is wider over a wider frequency range.
  11. HooStat

When using GLM, is there much of a difference in sonic quality between the Genelec 83x1 and 83x0 to justify the (over) doubling in price?

I think the 83X0 speakers vs. the 83X1 speakers isn't that big. But having more/better subs is. So, I would factor that into any decision/opinion. In other words, getting the 8340 plus the 7360 sub (or 2x 7350) could reasonably be considered "better" than the 8341 alone. Both are...
  12. HooStat

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

Which is pretty frustrating to be honest. Particularly if, in the case of AppleTV, DD+ gets converted to Dolby MAT 2.0. Then the entire point of multichannel becomes a problem for the MiniDSP + AppleTV solution. I have come around to the notion that modern-day "receivers" are amazing things...
  13. HooStat

I appreciate your correction. I was imprecise in my language. My point was that AppleTV would work with the new MiniDSP unit because it can output LPCM, and that it might be another option for people whose TV wouldn't work with the new MiniDSP. Below is a more detailed description of what...
  14. HooStat

The Apple TV can decode ATMOS. So it might require an HDMI "splitter" from the Apple TV to the TV and MiniDSP. Or maybe the TV can be a pass-through for HDMI?
  15. HooStat

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7g

We are talking about audible changes. But please read the 100 page link I cite above. There is recognition that there are small "changes" but nothing that would approach anything meaningfully audible, or require 70 hours of break-in. Adaptation of people to new speakers is a very real thing...
Top Bottom