Recent content by HooStat

1. HooStat

KEF Q series vs Revel Concerta 2 for home theater use

I have the Q300 and for a $150 experiment I bought a pair of used Q100 to use one as the center (on its side). It worked great. I don't see anything wrong with sticking with KEF. I think it makes sense to get the best center you can. If you find a used pair of Q350, you could use one of...
  2. HooStat

Why are coaxials so rare?

Also, ME Geithain has a different approach to coaxial speakers, with drivers in front of other drivers. https://www.me-geithain.de/en/
  3. HooStat

Why are coaxials so rare?

Coaxials have particular advantages in center channel applications. However, there are equally rare there.
  4. HooStat

Why no follow up studies to Dr. Toole’s and Dr. Olive’s work?

I advocated something like that a while back. We could have multiple people provide evaluations of each speaker using a standard protocol. It would require some training too, to help people conduct the listening evaluations as consistently as possible. Such an approach isn't without issues...
  5. HooStat

Genelec 8361A vs 8351B

Thanks. That is helpful. I am glad you are enjoying yours. I have some 8361's arriving Tuesday, so I will test them in my room too.
  6. HooStat

Genelec 8361A vs 8351B

True, but if you run the Genelec full range and cross the subs at something like 40 Hz, it might be possible to dial them in properly. I am not an expert on the process, but I would try that first. I know people like to use higher crossovers to improve the clarity of mid-range in a two way...
  7. HooStat

Neumann KH 750 DSP + KH 310 A review

As I understand it, all signals go through the sub first, where the DSP is done, and then analog goes to the speaker. So, they should have the same delay.
  8. HooStat

Sean Olive on Predicting Loudspeaker Sound Quality and Listener Preference

Correlated variables are usually fine. Nothing is truly orthogonal (independent). When there is a problem with correlated covariates ("independent variables"), the variances of the coefficient estimates are what tend to get inflated. One would typically look at variance inflation factors to...
  9. HooStat

Mallows cp requires large sample sizes, so it doesn't hold much water here.
  10. HooStat

I agree with @preload. The correlation is a measure of internal consistency. It doesn't directly address a model's ability to predict samples it hasn't seen. In other posts on this forum, I have listed other limitations of the analyses. The score is a tool -- it is a descriptive model. It...
  11. HooStat

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

I agree. That is essentially what I was suggesting in #256 . It would be very helpful to people to control a few basic functions that are extremely unlikely to change and are constant across products.
  12. HooStat

That is very true. It is absolutely possible to do nowadays. And I think it would be worth it if they did. But the company has to be ready to do it. There is so much hidden work involved with software. Their software is dependent on other software that will change (e.g., Windows, Mac OS)...
  13. HooStat

I agree completely. However, having to support an API while you are still heavily developing the software can be difficult. Especially if software development is not the main strength of your company. So, I don't blame them. I would at least like to see a few key things open, like volume...
  14. HooStat

What about when ATCs are a deal?

If you like them and are happy, you should be fine. Perfect is the enemy of the good. I just listened to some ATCs the other day and I enjoyed them. They were mid-range forward, which I found very pleasing. There is always something "better". If you get tired of the sound, you can always...
  15. HooStat

OK -- thanks for clarifying. So one can emulate the wired volume controller and that is it. Well, thanks for putting in the work to create a more consumer-friendly device.
Top Bottom