Recent content by Hooch500

1. H

Marchaudio P422 Stereo Power Amplifier Renewed Review

Vanishingly low distortion. Perhaps better suited to Chiroptologists given no human ear is ever going to hear the difference, not least because no speakers exist that can resolve the differences between
  2. H

Luxman SQ-N150 Review (Tube Amplifier)

I think the 303 is a very average sounding amp at best, despite the fact they were actually used as monitor amps in some studios ( no guarantee of anything ) Hold onto those 11's !
  3. H

Some of their tube gear was pretty good, yes it wasn't cheap but they would not have dared to have made an EL 84 based amp and charged premium money back then. Of course transistor amps of the time were of variable quality, just to add fuel to fire, although they measured better many sounded...
  4. H

No doubt Don, just saying it's not hard to make a decent amp from EL84's as long as they are decent and you don't push then too hard. Makes no sense dressing one up in a fancy chassis and charging silly money. A bit like re-boxing a class D amp, adding a few features and pretending you have...
  5. H

Indeed. As a BBC sound engineer back in the 70's and 80's I used to come across their kit, notably in Basing street studios where I used to repair and modify various analogue based equipment. I'm sure the newer stuff measures better these days. Just a pity few can make a decent recording with...
  6. H

Probably like listening to modern jazz with an ear infection.
  7. H

Luxman have made some good gear. Disappointing lab result even for an el84 amp, I built one with nice trannies that made over 15w with decent distortion figures for a lot less. Sounded pretty good with a pair of big Tannoy MG15 Golds. I would expect any low powered amp to start sounding poor...
Top Bottom